France en velo 2017, Sunday 02nd July

A forum for regular club rides and special events

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

rich oneill

France en velo 2017, Sunday 02nd July

Postby rich oneill » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:30 pm

“France en velo” is our day trip to the Pas de Calais on Sunday 02-July-2017 for paid-up HHCC members (including 2nd Claim).

This is a great social day out cycling around this beautiful part of France, enjoying quiet, well paved roads, undulating terrain and French cuisine. Participants are asked to wear Club jerseys.

We have an early start to drive down and park at Dover docks, arriving by 07:00 to give us time to get kitted-up and catch the 08:25am P&O ferry to Calais. P&O recommend checking in by 07:25 am. We get breakfast on the ferry and arrive in Calais 10:55 am local time. We cycle off the ferry and embark on a route that takes us up the Cap Blanc-Nez then into the French countryside before heading to the coast and Audresselles for lunch. The route is about 65 miles in all but there are options to make it shorter if people want. We may on the day split into two or more groups, depending on how many people are riding.

We encourage car sharing for the journey to Dover to save on fuel and parking costs.

Please reply to this topic if you would like to come. Any non-members wishing to come can join the Club online via our website.

Booking Tickets:

This should be done as a pair. P&O's form charges the same amount for two cyclists as for one (at least it did for me). I suggest the car driver books for both people. Once booked you only need the booking reference on the email confirmation. Boarding tickets are collected from the P&O office at the port.

Out: 08:25
Return: 18:50

The roads around Laureston Place and Victoria Park in Dover don't have enforced parking on a Sunday. We should try here first. If nothing then Marine Parade as close to the Premier Inn as possible. Cost is £8.25 for all day. Pay at meter or via RingGo app.

Please bring a map or download the route (which I'll post later in June) to your cycle computer. I'll have the route on my Garmin.

I've planned a 65 mile route. There is a lunch stop at 28 miles in Audresselles as there is a good seafood restaurant there. Being France and a Sunday we need to be mindful of cafe/restaurant opening times i.e. most places will be closed 2 or 3pm to 6pm.

Getting Home:

Expect to be home 9:30pm

Don't Forget

Re: France en velo 2017, Sunday 02nd July

Postby andymurrayuk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Sounds like a great day out Richard. I'm interested.

Return to “Club Rides, Trips and Events”