Idea for new Club Kit

Discuss anything not covered below.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

RichardG

Idea for new Club Kit

Postby RichardG » Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I have done a sketch for a revised Club Kit which updates the old style used presently.
Lets have a vote who likes it and who hates it, perhaps we might use it later if we someday update the current gear.
See the link here to view:

Cheers Richard G

Paul Thomson

Re: Idea for new Club Kit

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 pm

A nice idea.

My 2p worth -
For: a simpler, bolder design. I like the shorts in particular.
Against: Too much dark blue and not enough white, although the club colours are blue and orange, and not blue, orange and white. I just prefer to have a reasonable amount of white for better visibility. I am not keen on the HHCC. I prefer to have the full Hemel Hempstead (with or without CC).

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Bernard Lamb

Postby Bernard Lamb » Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Very much in agreement with Paul.
Too dark and HHCC is rather vague, could mean almost anything.
I have made comments in other places about the Sky kit being too dark and very hard to spot riders wearing it in gloomy conditions.
Bernard
Bernard Lamb

RichardG

Postby RichardG » Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 am

Paul & Bernard,
Thanks for the positive comments and suggestions, this is exactly what I wanted.
When we have a good cross section of opinions I will do another design which hopefully takes care of the majority of peoples ideas and changes. Although we might not be able to do every change exactly, we all might have to compromise in some areas.

So less Dark Blue seems to be the opinion so far. So come on everyone keep those comments coming!
Richard

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Fri May 10, 2013 8:56 am

I quite like the design but would really like the colours as light as possible.

How about ditching the dark blue completely, swapping it for light blue, then replacing the light blue with white?

Even if white isn't part of our official club colours I think it would make perfect sense in light of recent events - personally I feel much safer when riding in my long-sleeved Hemel jersey which has white arms.

Another point, and just my personal opinion - I don't think we should have the web address on the kit - I don't see the point and think it's at odds with the proud history of the Club. If folk want to find out about the Club they can all use 'Google' I'm sure...

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at this Richard.

Cheers

Sam

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Fri May 10, 2013 10:38 am

I actually like having the web address on the kit. Despite the proud and relatively long history of the club, it shows we are a progressive and modern club too. We could drop the "www." bit and just have "hemelcycling.org.uk" to give it a bit more of a modern aspect for that.

I'm not sure I would also agree to dropping the dark blue completely... Royal blue is traditionally the colour of the blue of the club. Maybe a mid-way between the dark and light blues??

Richard, you did know this is a thankless task and no-one is going to agree? :lol: When we last did a major revision of the club design in the mid 90's to the current one it took months and dozens of designs and in the end we just told someone to come up with something different and did it. Yes the current design is getting on for 20 years old... Still I know a number of clubs still use pretty much the same design as I first saw them in 35 years ago and I reckon it had been unchanged for decades then!

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

RichardG

Postby RichardG » Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Ok- thank you to all for good comments, so far so good! I have altered the design to tone down the dark blue to a more lighter blue which seems to be the majority consensus.

Paul makes a good point about having the website on the shirts and I agree with that.
Sam - you reminded me about long sleeve Jerseys so I have added a version for those, but I think white arms and white in general quickly gets grubby and goes grey in the wash so I have used white sparingly.
The other problem with white clothing is mainly for the ladies as it tends to go transparent when it gets wet in rain!

I cant make up my mind between Light Blue or Dark Blue as the main colour for shorts so I have shown both (A & B), i must admit I personally always buy dark shorts but thats only my preference.

The HHCC has been removed from the Jersey front and is now only used as a graphic on the sleeve tops.

To see the revised design click here: http://hhccnewkit2.businesscatalyst.com/

Cheers Richard

Bernard Lamb

Postby Bernard Lamb » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am

Just had a look at various photos and old items of clothing.
The circa 1982 Regio jersey was a very light blue with the standard orange colour and large white lettering.
Overall it was quite bright.
The track vest from a similar period had a distinct white band either side of the wide light blue chest band.
The later Imp Sport kit was a darker blue but the blue into orange was shaded into a mix of ever lighter coloured dots to give an almost white band between the two colours.
Although the blue was darker the effect of viewing from a distance was still quite light.
The large white lettering on the legs showed up well from the side.
I like the revised version of the internet name.
I still find the general impression from a safety viewpoint as being too dark.
Bernard
Bernard Lamb

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm

FWIW - the Paler blues were mistakes! the colour registered back whenever was Kingfisher Blue - but i don't have a Pantone number!! I also would like the current blue - the proposal is almost Navy, I also agree with Paul on having Hemel Hempstead and the web address.
In terms of the history; from a long time back (50s/60's) to the 1973 season the design was Orange & blue vertical stripes with an orange panel front & back and "Hemel Hempstead" in white (hand cut and sewn letters!!) From 1973 it was a horizontal blue band with white strips top & bottom of the band on an orange jersey - it was identical to the Holdsworth-Campagnolo Pro team of the day without the logoing. The reason being that Roy Thame was managing the Pro team and was also Club chairman - so we got top qual kit at a "sensible" price. Minor Variations in colour, including "fading at the edge of the colour blocks" followed until early 90's when it was redesigned to be similar to today (this was based on a Team in N France that some of the clubs racers of the day were in) and it evolved a little over time to todays version.

We are one of the few "Old Skule" clubs still running and I'd like to see continuity of colour and evolution of design to reflect that - (afterall Arsenal FC's home kit is still Red & White like it was in 1920!!) I understand Sams comment on paler colours and accident avoidance - and without invoking a big discussion - I'm not sure how much it really helps apart from avoiding dark colours or single blocks of dark - eg Black shorts. Good overshoes coloured Club orange are likley to make the biggest impact - anyway as Paul says Thankless task - but thanks for having a go!!

One minor point - whatever design is followed up be sure it works with a full zip - not all do!!
JD

Bob Addy

Postby Bob Addy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Great to see that you are trying to get up to date .... Why no writing on back of shorts, as per the pro,s??????????????????????? Yes I am still alive,only doing 2to 3 hrs most days ,in shorts temp 20to 27 Driller

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 pm

FYI,
We have recently commissioned some new skinsuits and have "tweaked" the current design slightly to improve visibility. Mainly by increasing the quantity of white panels and the addition of more roundels and URLs.

Take a look here:

It's more a case of evolution rather than revolution in this instance.

Baynsey

BigGeoff

Postby BigGeoff » Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Helen and my 2p worth... agree with JD - full zip is a must. Agree with Thomo re web address. Like royal blue so use this blue. Why black anywhere??? not club colours and hard to see! We would have white side panels and underarms for vis! Shorts - why any black? keep blues and like your orange band on the leg gripper but make it wider as most decent new shorts have the wider gripper band now and by all means highlight it with the white stripe above. Thanks for your effort on this ... Well done.

andymurrayuk

Postby andymurrayuk » Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 am

Hi all. Great that someone is looking at a new team kit; I think most people would agree that it could do with a revamp. The new design has prompted discussion amongst a few of us and I quite like the extra dark blue trim, but it definitely needs some white. So with that in mind, how about we take Richard's new design and thrown in a white chest band as per this? Hope you can see the image!
http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/andym ... c.gif.html

I don't ever remember any white parts of my kit going transparent in the rain! Guess it depends on which bit of kit you mean. White shorts do because of the fabric, but tops tend not to.

Hector

Postby Hector » Sat May 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I think Andy's modification is preferable as anything to give more visibility is a bonus. Us older guys probably prefer the darker shorts.
Hector

andymurrayuk

Postby andymurrayuk » Sat May 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Slight amendements:
http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/andym ... f.gif.html

Definitely agree that the white gives extra visibility. I think the white added to Richard's design, makes it look very modern but with a retro twist giving it a timeless quality. I added the mid blue band on the end of the short sleeve jersey to match Richard's design for the long sleeve jersey and added a bit of white on the collar. Don't know if these details add to the cost, but I think it looks better for it. I genuinely like it and hope it would look as good in reality as it does in the pic. Would be good to add the web address on parts of the kit that don't get ruffled so across the back of the shorts like we do now, and how about on the back across the shoulders? As for the shorts, I've added my preference to the pic; they marry up with the top, but I'm not as fussed as with the jersey.

Return to “General”