Road names linked to cycling

Discuss anything not covered below.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

hairyairey

Road names linked to cycling

Postby hairyairey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Having seen that "Pedley Hill" was on the route of the hilly TT tonight I wondered how many other roads had links to cycling (which if you think about it makes sense - roads were made for bikes not cars anyway)

There's a Chain Close in Peterborough (PE1), Saddleworth Road (Greetland, West Yorkshire) - any others anyone can think of?

This is just a bit of fun.

Paul Thomson

Re: Road names linked to cycling

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

And there was I that thought roads were made for walking and horses, etc... But certainly bikes were around before cars.

Pretty sure there is a Wheeler Street in Cambridge.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

hairyairey

Postby hairyairey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:57 am

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/

I love this one:

MOTORISTS' FRONT OF JUDEA: Apart from the pneumatic tyre, ball bearings, differential gears, roads, motoring, car ads, and aviation, what have the cyclists ever done for us?

Gutted you got that one - I was on Wheeler Street during the Cambridge Science Festival!

andymurrayuk

Postby andymurrayuk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:35 pm

How about Frame Lane in Doseley, Telford? There's a Hub Street in Los Angeles. There's also Tyre Road in a place called Pigeon in Michigan. How about we see if we can build a bike out of related road names? Just found this one: Grip Road, Sedro-Woolley, Washington, United States. And - yes, it's a bit tenuous - Cranko Road, Chemainus, British Columbia, Canada. Ok, so I'm searching Google Maps, but it's pretty difficult without doing that!

Return to “General”