Thank you

Discuss anything not covered below.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Gavin Atkins

Thank you

Postby Gavin Atkins » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 pm

I recently received a card and some vouchers for a local restaurant as a gift from the club with some very kind messages from many of you. Lorraine and I are very touched by this kind kind gesture and would like to extend our warmest gratitude for the time and thought that has gone into it :)

Life is a bit of a struggle right now as I recover from my recent surgeries in May, they have set me back a fair way strength wise, but will benefit me in the long term. The original fusion of my injury site failed and required a far more comprehensive revision. I've had an extension of the posterior metal work in my spine and a major anterior reconstruction of the damaged vertebrae to encourage fusion of the L1, T12 & T11.

I'm back home now at last and am trying to rebuild my strength to the point that I can attend a 2 month course of intensive neurological physiotherapy at the Wellington Hospital (where I've been until recently).

I'm managing to walk with crutches for short distances and am trying to increase the frequency and duration of those walks over the past week. Since the last operations I'm having to wear a chest brace until the bone fuses to the metalwork in my spine, and have restrictions on my mobility which presently preclude me from doing much more than short excursions from the house. I will have another scan in August to ascertain whether the restrictions can be lifted and I can press on with my rehabilitation. Hopefully from that point, and after the two months rehab period you will see me around a bit more!

I'm really enjoying seeing the clubs racing scene thriving at the moment so please keep updating me on whats going on!

Thanks again,

Gavin

Jonny Boy

Re: Thank you

Postby Jonny Boy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:45 pm

How are you getting on now, Gav? WLT hear an update.
All the best, Jon

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi guys

Yep been quiet lately as there was not really much to tell as I spent June, July & August getting over those operations in May. During September I started physiotherapy at home and this month I have now started outpatients physiotherapy back at the Wellington in St Johns Wood. I cant't go into to much detail on the 'net but things are progressing and my walking is improving. My main challenge is the weakness in my thighs which makes standing up very difficult! I have many complex physiological problems as a result of the damage to my spinal cord which are not always apparent but I'm learning to live with them. My ultimate outcome is dependant on so many things that I just have to concentrate on each day at a time and trying to keep breaking down challenges and regaining components of my life. As for riding a bike, I just don't know yet. I am riding a stationary bike, but my power output is missing a zero which I will keep working on! There are some interesting developments in electronic powered bikes.... I will definitely be around next year to support the club in any way I can to help give something back to the club and the sport that has given me so many rich experiences, memories and friends :)

I guess the club dinner will roll around soon and I hope to see many of you there!
Gav

Jonny Boy

Postby Jonny Boy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for the update, Gav. Sorry it's taken so long to reply - just been that busy at work lately!
It sounds like tough, slow progress for you but I definitely think taking each step one at a time is the right approach. You will know all about goal setting from your racing, of course :D
I'm aiming to be at the club dinner so see you there for another catch-up. In the meantime, all the best and have a great Christmas :)

carolmac

Postby carolmac » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the update, you are never far away from our thoughts and I'm pleased progress is being made. As for your power out put missing a zero, welcome to my world!! Power is not my strong point, Paul is always moaning at me, if I was a betting girl I'd bet your power output is higher than mine :)

The Christmas lunch is Sunday 15th December, post on the forum, so be great to see you then and yes as ever the Annual Dinner (Post Xmas party - calling it that so people not put off by annual awards title), will come round soon and I'll send round an e-mail to get money and menu choices.

Take care and Jon can give you the load down on electric bikes, Paul was very impressed with it, think I need to keep up with everyone up the hills.

Hope to see you soon.
Carol x

Return to “General”