Ramp Test

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Giles Haley

Ramp Test

Postby Giles Haley » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 am

I happened upon some info on ramp testing the other day, but it was a bit vague.

If I got it right, there's a B.C. standard ramp test where you start at 120W output and, at a continuous 90rpm, notch it up 20W every minute. So as a concept, sounds easy enough (same principle as a runner's beep test, I guess).

- how critical is the cadence - even getting closer to 100rpm would make a difference as less torque is required to generate the same power. Does it have to be 90rpm and what sort of tolerance applies ?

- when does the test terminate ? I guess the objective is to continue for as long as possible, and the longer the better, but how do you quantify when it's all over and is it possible to benchmark with this information ?

- I don't have a crank-based power meter measuring my output, but my trainer displays the power "onto the road". Is there a known advantage or disadvantage between the two, other than losses in the drivetrain, which should be negligible ?

- Back to the ramp test - what is it actually telling you ? It's a repeatable benchmark, but of what physical attribute ? The term "fitness" is very general, eg, sprinter vs climber - which is "fitter" and would they turn out the same ramp test - I suspect not ? I'm guessing it's something to do with aerobic threshold and VO2max, mostly by the process of elimination !

Gavin Atkins

Re: Ramp Test

Postby Gavin Atkins » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:09 am

Giles, you got PM, lets chat on the phone, too much for me to easily type.

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”