Chain Maintenance

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

NZxcross

Chain Maintenance

Postby NZxcross » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all, would be greatfull for any advise.
I'm having trouble keeping up with the chain maintenace on my cross bike. With the bad weather it seems to come home covered in sand, grass, lots of mud & anything else that has decided to catch a lift home.

I had a new chain for the weekend but decided to totally wreck the old first, which was a good decision based on the day. What do you use to clean these chains with? What lub do you recommend for a xcrosser? Lastly, how often would you change these.

Cheers Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Chrisbro

Re: Chain Maintenance

Postby Chrisbro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Well, I might not be riding the bike like Conall but I have picked up some pointers ref the cleaning side etc.

Our first important buy was a hand brush from Tescos with softer plastic brushes :) that I added to bucket & 2 litre plastic bottles of water for post race quick wash before bike went back into the car!

The old toothbrush was great addition to cleaning cogs and awkward places and finally added to menu was a 'proper' spray degreaser and set of purpose made bike brushes included cassette one...beat the old twig.

Did finally invest in chain cleaner device that you clip over and run chain through ( every other race ) and that certainly helps keep it pristine. I think I was told about this at a race by another Dad in the pits and basis was 'prevention better than cure'..in other words less likely to have chain problems by giving the chain some TLC before races and immediately afterwards.

Post all the cleaning also got pointed in direction of 'lubes'....many to choose from but widely available is Teflon Wet lube and it seems to do the trick.

Following link shows something I can recognise as most angles covered 8)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... bike-18259

Have to admit to getting one of the smaller portable spray washers ( Nomad) which runs off a battery or the car 12v...marvellous and less effort now ref keeping inside of the car clean :wink:

Good luck Richard!

NZxcross

Re: Chain Maintenance

Postby NZxcross » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to punch out a reply its most helpfull indeed. With the wet winter/start to the xcross season the mud situation is starting to wear thin in our house. Definately trying to clean it before bringing it home would help.

Hint to the girl for a Nomad washer for Christmas........ any chance????

I have found that I have to more organised as living in an apartment on the 9th floor makes it even harder. I've decided next year I'm gunna run 2 chains. Not at the same time but alternate every week, will get one of those KMC special links so don't have to chain break the chain each time. Then I can do a proper soak wash on the used one. I have one of those inline chain cleaner devices, everytime I use it I jam my fingers somewhere or all the cleaning stuff goes everywhere.

I run the Web lube, never had much success with the dry one.

Cheers Bud
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”