Bike Fit

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Gavin Atkins

Re: Bike Fit

Postby Gavin Atkins » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:36 am

Retul is the gold standard in positional documentation IMO - I guess the skill of the practitioner in getting you into the 'right' position according to those metrics is dependent on the experience of the individual though, and whether they are more experienced in TT fit (which is a blend of aerodynamic considerations - best determined in a wind tunnel, which ever governing body rules are applicable to you, and anthropometric concerns) or Road positions which are primarily the later of those 3.

Barry the owner appears to be a decent bloke tho, he recently sent me a nice carbon bottle cage without first receiving payment!

Steve Hewitt

Postby Steve Hewitt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Hope you don't mind me chipping in (being a Verulam CC member!). I've had problems with my lower back (compressed L5/S1 disc) and went to Cyclefit in Covent Garden and had my bike position formulated there. Since setting my bike up to their measurements I have improved and trained a lot harder without my back suffering. I thought it was a worthwhile exercise. Typically as cyclists we only look for advice when we encounter problems which is obviously the wrong attitude.

A book that is a very good point of reference and a very good read is "Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide For Cyclists by Andy Pruitt" (see info below). Andy Pruitt, as you already may know, is the man behind the Specialized Body Geometry series. He was talking about bike fit back in the eighties and advising people like Greg Lemond. Recently he has advised Chritian Vande Velde and the Saxo Bank team (ex-CSC, http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... bank-20304 ) on bike fit amongst many others. He did a talk at the Bike Show and I was very impressed by his presentation.

"Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide For Cyclists by Andy Pruitt"
ISBN 10: 1931382808
ISBN 13: 9781931382809
No of Pages: 200
Page Size: 150 x 227
Publisher: Velopress*
Published Date: May 2006
Cover: paperback
Illustrations: black and white
Weight: 360 gms.
Price: £16.00

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the info Steve (and welcome to the forums). I will keep an eye out for that book. Does it have much on general bike fit in it. Or is it more injury related?
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Steve Hewitt

Postby Steve Hewitt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome Simon.

The book contains medical/injury information but is more aimed about getting the best possible bike position setup. It goes through the general rules of bike setup and debunks a lot of formulaic methods (i.e. multiplying your inside leg by a number gives you your frame size, but this totally disregards top tube/head tube length, frame geometry etc, and the persons flexability). It gives good tips on give away signs of poor setup and looks into the riders biomechanics on the bike. His motto is that "The bike should fit the rider and not the other way round", but also does put an emphasis on stretching and core strength to help with bike postion. There is also a section on common injuries and how the bike setup could cause the injury.

I think it's the best book on bike position by a mile from what I've encountered and I recieve no commission for this (although I probably should)!

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”