Energy Drinks and Bars

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Energy Drinks and Bars

Postby Simon Hemington » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 am

We have a number of options available to us as a club to negotiate discounts on things like energy bars, carbohydrate drinks, gels and recovery shakes.

Could you use this thread to let me know what, if anything, you currently use and if you would be interested in either a bulk purchase and/or regular supply of any products ( legal only please :lol: )

To start us off, I use gels and energy drink when I am racing.

Thanks,
Simon
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

John Dowling

Re: Energy Drinks and Bars

Postby John Dowling » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 pm

For me it begins and ends with TORQ - Easily the most digestable gels and bars (and more tasty) than anything else i've used, the Recovery drink tastes odd because of whats in it (HMB - which is not in many other Recovery drinks) but its effective. Just spent over £100 on stuff but will be buying more. I use them all the time for racing & longer training rides.
I believe Simon has contacts!!!! :lol:

JD

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 pm

The other thing is Chateau Lafite 82, 66 or 45 which i find very helpful in calming down after races :wink: a bulk purchase/regular supply would be very welcome. As would Krug 89 which is very good for getting you started...............
O well. :roll:
JD

Ian Huntingford

Postby Ian Huntingford » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Bars: I agree with JD. TORQ are a clear favourite for me, preferably Raspberry and Apple. The High5 Caramel Sports Bar is also quite acceptable but slightly harder to digest - and crucially (maybe!) has no ribose in it.

Drink: I use SIS Electrolyte (Lemon & Lime) because I think it's got the right stuff in it and it seems to be better at helping avoid cramps than the (more pleasant and less sickly) High5 alternative.

Leisure drink: I would probably agree with JD again but doubt I could afford his recommendations ... So a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord, Coniston Bluebird or even good old London Pride will suffice :roll:

Cheers
Ian

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:13 pm

I tend to use plain SIS PSP22 - no nasty stuff added. When its hot I add a sachet of diaoralyte (sp?) which has most of the salts you need when heavily sweating. For recovery I just use the same, using the proven 1.2g maltodextrin per kg bodyweight formula. No commercial recovery products give adequeate carbs, they just base suggestion on serving size, not science. Tut tut. No need for protein. Like JD says the Torq recovery products are bling but SO expensive. This is the only area of cycling equipment where I use an economical solution :shock:

I might add that most people can get 10% or so through their local dealers/contacts/Ribble etc so any discount would be have to be say 20% to get any interest. And according to Matt and Torq that would blow his profit margin!

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”