Tow-bar mounted cycle carriers

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Tow-bar mounted cycle carriers

Postby Simon Hemington » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Has anybody got a recommendation for a tow-bar mounting cycle carrier?
I need to carrier 3 mountain bikes or road bikes, with a light board and pref boot access.

Thanks,
Simon
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Scoops

Re: Tow-bar mounted cycle carriers

Postby Scoops » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm

try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thule-9503-RideOn ... 240%3A1318

I have the 2 bike version and swear by it. best value, secure and very strong.

happy shopping!
Scoops
HHCC Go-Ride Secretary

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Looks good. Does it fit mountain bikes and road bikes equally well? And cope with kids and adult bikes?

Thanks,
Simon
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Scoops

Postby Scoops » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi simon

yes, road, mtb kids etc. all sizes and frame designs. there is adjustment on the wheel troughs to cater for different wheel bases as well. if you get the lockable version, then your bikes can be secured to the rack with a lock.

the only issue is that the securing straps that loop around the upright 'u' shapes also then loop around the down tube on the bike. OK for road bikes, but this is normally the dirtiest part of a MTB and so you tend to get damage around the area where it meets the securing strap. make sense?? it's not a mega thing, but I am fussy about the condition of my bikes and I regret getting this style of rack just for that one and only reason. apart from that, it's the best I have seen.
Scoops
HHCC Go-Ride Secretary

Boj

Postby Boj » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I got a four bike Pendle carrier on eBay. It is simple, robust and does the job well. It also has the advantage of being a modular system so you can change the various parts if they are damaged or to alter the set-up (e.g. you can make it a 2, 3 or 4 bike carrier or change the parts so it can carry a downhill bike with massive tyres or a child's bike with a short wheelbase).

Perhaps not as easy to use as the Thule, but still pretty good and made in Britain!

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”