Training confusion

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Little Legs

Training confusion

Postby Little Legs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Can anyone help? I've done a lot (actually, too much) reading about various training techniques recently with a view to designing myself a training plan. I've seen so much good, bad and conflicting advice that I've got myself a bit confused as to what I should be trying to do over the winter and spring. My main aim is to get a bit quicker in TTs next year, although generally improving my on bike fitness is also a goal.

From what I've read it sounds like interval training seems to be the way to go. My question is what would a typical weekly training plan look like if I wanted to incorporate some intervals? What should the ratio of interval days to steady endurance days to rest days be for example? Also what sort of intervals should I do? Short sprints? Hill repeats? High cadence work? Low cadence work? Can you do intervals for sustained periods or is the risk of over training something I need to be concerned with? And then there's the question of nutrition....!

As I said - I've got myself a bit confused. I guess the answers to a lot of the questions depend on the individual, but can anyone simplify things a bit for me? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”