Turbo Training Mondays - and Massages too!

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Paul Thomson

Turbo Training Mondays - and Massages too!

Postby Paul Thomson » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am

Hello all,

The world famous Turbo Training sessions have started down the clubroom on Monday nights, starting at 7:30pm prompt...
Bring your bike and a towel/change of kit, etc and if you have a Turbo bring that along too. The club does have 5 Turbo's for use if you do not have one, or want to ride to & from the clubroom. They are on a first-come first served basis though, so come early to secure them - no pre bookings allowed!
With fast pumping tunes and a progressive but tough training schedule that has been set by the Club Coach, Gavin with the session written on the whiteboard up front. Ample fans to provide a little bit of cooling breeze... and ample encouragement and support from fellow bike riders! Sessions last 45 mins to an hour and will continue until early March. there will be a break of only 1 week - the Monday between Christmas & New Year. Cost is a minimalist £1 per session, and includes the clubnight fee.

From January there will also be a sports massage and rehabilitation clinic held in the Clubroom for anyone with a injury or just wanting some general work. You don’t have to attend a turbo session in order to qualify for a massage! The sessions will be free as they will count towards a Sports and Remedial Massage qualification that I am working towards. Sessions will be between 19:30 and 21:30 and be around 30 minutes in length, depending upon the number of people who want treatment. If there is sufficient demand I can bring in a colleague from the same course. Please email or call me (details below) if you want a massage to avoid me making an unnecessary journey to the Clubhouse and so I can get some assistance if demand is high.

Keith Fletcher
Tel: 07770 484900
Email: keith @ cadence. uk. com (remove spaces)

What more do you want? Come on down!!!

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Paul Thomson

Re: Turbo Training Mondays - and Massages too!

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Unless there is a particularly big thaw tomorrow (unlikely given the weather forecast!) then I think it is best to not run the turbo session tomorrow. Keith has already said he will not be down to do any massages.

I have yet to decide if I will attend the clubroom, mainly due to the potential ice down the lane and carpark.

I'll post tomorrow afternoon.

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:40 pm

The 2010/2011 winter turbo training sessions will commence this Monday (1 November) with a typical taster session.

Details are as the first post above - session planning by Gavin Atkins, our top notch performance coach, with the idea of a progression from easy base type building through to higher intensity intervals to bring you to a higher state of fitness towards the middle to end of February just in time for the start of next years racing season in March. Of course this is also an opportunity for general riders to get better use of their own turbo sessions - or to experience it for the first time if you have never done them before.
One of the advantages of session in a group is that what is often seen as a chore and hard mentally to cope with training session is made more 'fun' and bearable with lots of people all doing the same, with encouragement from others (and session leaders), with a good backgound of fast music to blot out the efforts...
:idea: Oh yes - the sessions can be as hard as you want them to be - if you want to back off then please do so - just being there is the important bit!

As mentioned above we have 5 turbos for use - on a first come first served basis (no-one can claim them in advance). Riders should otherwise bring their own (they can be stored in the clubroom if you want to leave them here).

We have plenty of fans for cooling - which is needed even in the depths of the cold winters with no heating in the training room. Please bring suitable clothing to not only train in but to put on after the session has concluded (several layers to start with and gradually remove as you warm up to put on after seems the best option). A drink and a towel are other essentials.

This first session is just a taster. The following week is the Club AGM and no session will run then. Then the main sessions will commence every Monday from then onwards, although there is likely to be a 2 week gap over Christmas and New Year.

:arrow: Cost £2 per session. Payment before starting. Please be ready to start at the time of 7:30pm.

We are looking for people to help run the sessions - trainee coaches most welcome, but anyone can do it - the sessions are already set up.

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:27 pm

OK, I have been innundated with requests - well, one - to do an additional session next Tuesday evening due to the fact we lost the session before Xmas due to the weather (and I was ill anyway).

So what to the massive :!: think of this? up for it?
Most will be back to work by then so a good time to get back into the swing of things...

Let me know.

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”