Mapping GPS

Ask questions, sort out training partners and find out how to use that HR or power meter.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

jeminar

Mapping GPS

Postby jeminar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:12 am

Does anyone know anything about mapping GPS devices? I'm looking for one that can load in or our from mapmyride or google maps, has a good 15hr battery life, has maps for UK, Europe and North America. I can't get my head around the choices.

For example, how do you tell what maps are already installed? Do extra maps cost a lot more money? How does it all work?

Steven Oglesby

Re: Mapping GPS

Postby Steven Oglesby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 am

I have a Garmin Edge 705. Battery life is good.
The base map that it comes with is rubbish. So you either have to pay for additional maps or I use open source maps that I get from the Open Street Map project http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download. These seem pretty accurate for the UK.
I seem to remember that it was reasonably easy to get the map onto the GPS unit, but it is about a year ago that I did it so I can't recall the details. There is some more info here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin_GPS.

I did work out some routes and upload them. Think I used something called Bike Toaster.

If you only want the mapping capabilities and not the cycle computer stuff then I think Garmin do a cheaper unit.

Steven

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Steven
Are you using this all the time? - how durable is it ? can you see the screen without reading glasses?? As my reading a map as we go along days are drawing to close ( unless i keep my readers on around my neck) this might be an attractive way of dealing with long rides and new roads.
JD

holderone

Postby holderone » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi

I also use the Garmin edge 705, you can buy the unit with just a base map or as I did with a complete road map of the UK. Its A True turn by turn GPS (you can use it geo caching, in the car and walking) but has the added benifits of working with a cadence monitor and heart monitors. The computer software also allows you to monitor your training sessions etc, you can also go on line and share routes etc with other Garmin users. Its pretty good really, charges quickly and allows a lot of customization if you want it. I've never used any other companies computer so I can't give a comparison or say if its better than others. I use it with memory maps and sometimes google maps and it works just fine. Hope that helps. Oh and cheapest place to buy is the internet I used ebay!

holderone

Postby holderone » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Just seen your last reply, the unit is customizable, you can view fewer featuers which makes them larger. The map can be zoomed in or out depending on what you want to see. I would say you would be okay but best check one out before hand. It pretty tough actually, I know because I have dropped one a couple of times.

Steven Oglesby

Postby Steven Oglesby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi JD,
I use it most times I ride now on both road and mountainbike. Haven't tested dropping it on the floor though ;-) But not had any problems with a bit of rain or cold.

Screen has good resolution and is pretty bright so I have no problems with it and used it on holiday to follow routes I had planned out. Pretty nice to be able to do a ride somewhere you don't know and not have to stop to look at a map all the time. You can even take a pretty good guess at how tight a blind bend will be (although it doesn't tell you if there will be a car half way around it!).

I will bring it along to one of the club 10's and you can have a look at it.

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Excellent - sounds good, thanks for those comment Chaps. I would be quite keen to have look over it when the 10's start Steven.
Sounds like it might be the way forward !!

Return to “Adult Coaching and Training”