Central CX League Round 2 - MK Bowl

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Sam Williamson

Central CX League Round 2 - MK Bowl

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 pm

After a night of torrential rain Tom and I arrived at the MK Bowl to discover a sea of hazzard tape zig-zagging it's way up the banks of the grassy amphitheatre - plenty of slippery, technical, off-camber sections demanding excellent bike-handling skills as well as some tricky single-track sections through the woods.

Unfortunately I'd elected to fit my sexy new Griffo XS semi-slick tyres during the week and whilst they look very trick they offer little or no grip on mud or wet grass - not a problem we'd encountered in last year's bone-dry season. Suffice to say once Tom had finished his race I had to carry out a quick tyre change (sans tyre levers) to get something with a bit of grip - I'll be shopping for some 'wets' for next weekend...

Tom rode very well finishing in the top half of his race (including boys up to 15) showing good technical skills through the tricky sections and loved every minute despite a couple of minor 'offs'.

Three Hemelings made the startline of the 'main event' - myself, Richard and Giles - the gridding being based on last week's results so Rich and me found ourselves shoulder to shoulder waiting for the sprint down the flat grassy half-mile before entering the first single-track section through the woods. My start was even worse than last week and I ended up queuing for what seemed like hours (20-30 seconds?) to get onto the single track - MUST SORT MY STARTS OUT!

Still cursing myself I proceeded to make my way through the field, catching up with Richard's group of 4 or 5 after a couple of laps. I was on Richard's tail as he had a nasty spill on a very slippery tarmac section - the same piece of road catching many an unwary rider through the course of the event. I carried on pushing my way up the field eventually finding some space to just get my head down and ride; unfortunately the lack of company seemed to make me a little lazy and I lost a bit of focus from 30-45 minutes (witness the deteriorating lap times).

I was shaken out of my comfort zone by some fast-riding chasers behind and managed to pick it up again towards the end having a good 'mano a mano' with an MK rider in the last couple of laps - this time I failed on the final sprint but it kept me pushing hard to the end.

Results:

1. Ben Sumner 9 laps in 1:00:19
26. Sam Williamson 8 laps in 1:04:20
38. Richard O'Reilly 8 laps in 1:07:44
74. Giles Haley 6 laps in 1:00:25

92 finished

Giles Haley

Re: Central CX League Round 2 - MK Bowl

Postby Giles Haley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 pm

24 hours later, and I am still completely exhausted ! Nothing hurts as such, I am just completely stuffed. That was quite possibly the most debilitating off-road experience of my life with one exception (Lake District XC event, circa 1993, and it was on the same bike !). But man alive, what a laugh !

As Sam eludes to, I found myself not just in an hour long race, but it was also a case of continuously racing to be first into the technical and single track sections... I think I managed the second or third lap without dismounting, but by then it was getting slippery and a couple of "involuntary" offs occurred (sorry Sam, ahem, managed to wrap my handlebars round a branch right in front of you !), plus a chain-off moment. After 40 minutes minutes, though, I was convinced my tyres were filled with lead and I must have been the last rider through before the bell - a lap that my timing hadn't forecast at all !

Despite lurking around the back half of the field, there were some good duels and spats with a few of the same riders, and one of the marshals was informing me I was the "lead mountain bike" until someone with a Corley shirt on finally got the better of me in the second half.

Awesome - when's the next ?!!

Chrisbro

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Well Done Sam, Tom, Richard & Giles.

Conall hopefully back on CX bike next weekend to keep Tom company, having missed start of Central CX season due to injury.

However, was passed ok to participate at the BCF / Schools Inter Regional Games for MTB XC on the Hadleigh Farm Olympic XC course which took place from friday to today...excellent venue & organisation and mostly sunshine. Many technical riding tests, dirt crits, hill climb and full race. Conall in the Central team and was having fun right up and until late saturday when he had crash on rocks and needed a few stitches on elbow ( thanks to paramedics on the course..)..had to sit out today, cheering ( but not waving too much ) from behind the tape but Central still improved on last years c 13th place to 11th out of 14 teams and with the youngest team which bodes well for future...Scotland North 1st, South East 2nd and Scotland South 3rd...

looking forward to Longdean, Chris

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Giles Haley

Postby Giles Haley » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:36 am

So my confusion was well founded ! Defo didn't hear a bell for me.... :?

Thought I was not around next week, but domestic plans seem to have changed, so looks like I'm "on" for the Hemel event ! :D

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am

Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”