Central CX League Round 4 - Zappis

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Giles Haley

Central CX League Round 4 - Zappis

Postby Giles Haley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, that was a craic. Speaking of which, the muddiest places of one's person don't always turn out to be where you'd expect... :twisted:

And plenty of mud there was. Odd stuff, too. The nearest description I can think of is freshly mixed mortar, only bright orange ! Probably 'cos it was very sandy - my last experience with sand finished off a complete drivetrain, which might turn out terminal for the old Kona !

Thanks to our very own Paul for the finish technology again. I think he said 98 finishers in the senior race, and I dribbled in sixty - err - ninth I think. About the usual form, can't seem to raise the game.

And thanks too for all the Hemel supporters - lots of cheers, nice touch, it really helps.

Gonna pass next week - romantic weekend by the seaside with just my wife - hoorah !

Chrisbro

Re: Central CX League Round 4 - Zappis

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 pm

well done Giles....Conall's report below

"After the high of the previous weekend it was great to see 6 Hemel riders ( 3 Youth and 3 Seniors / Vets) back to fight another day at round 4 of the central league in Culham Park.
As I took my first look at the course I was rather disappointed with the state of it. It was in stark contrast to the course at Longdean. However there were a few muddy sections which are always fun.
I was feeling rather optimistic about the race to come as this was the first race this season with the full MK Youth Team led by Zinzan & Jonti Heap. When I was second to be called I got quite excited as this was my first front row for a while. With one of my best ever starts I found myself second and momentarily leading as we headed into the first corner. As we got onto the long downhill straight the Heaps made their move. Zinzan immediately pulled away taking his brother and Charles Page from Hillingdon with him. In the second lap I was passed by 3 more riders as I started to feel pain in my back and I took my foot of the gas slightly but with plenty of cheering from the Hemel supporters I could see I was winding them back in as I found my pace . At the end of the penultimate lap I caught the riders who were 4th, 5th & 6th, latching onto their wheels and then as the final lap began I immediately attacked. I was able to overtake all of them and extended my lead in a technical section. But suddenly I heard a bang and looked down to see my pedal twisted to the left. I tried to clip in but it was no good. I then resorted to pedalling one footed. As I approached the drop off I looked down and was shocked to see I no longer had a right pedal. But this was no obstacle as I pedalled one footed to the switchback section. Here I got off and ran through the corners to the pits where my Dad waited with the spare bike, we made a text book change and I went on my way to the finish but unfortunately too late to catch the group I had overtaken earlier.
But I enjoyed the race and especially recovering to get back into 4th at the start of the final lap. Tom and Sascha put in strong rides in the Youth race for Hemel and it was great to start with other Hemlings!
We stayed on to cheer Sam, Richard & Giles in what was now a churned up course….plenty of action and we cheered as much as we could to help them. Next week the A5 event once we get the pedal sorted!"

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey Conall,

Great to see you posting your own reports rather than letting Dad do all the work - bad luck with the pedal but good planning with the spare bike.

I'm saving the gory details of my race for Gav but suffice to say I have a little 'unfinished business' after this week's race and have changed plans to make next weekend a 'double-header' so Tom and I will see you at the A5 event after all...

Cheers for the shouts and the lend of your jetwash.

Sam :)

Chrisbro

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi Sam,

whats the other race? Conall raring to go.

cheers, Chris

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Rapha Super Cross, Ally Pally on Sunday - see link below - still room in the Youth race... 8)

Chrisbro

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

entered :D

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 am

Good luck for the next couple of 'cross events guys - I am unable to get to them. Hopefully Mr Ruffley has enough knowledge to run the finish system... They have had plenty of time to do practice yet have failed to try as they have attended all 4 of the events so far where I have offerred to teach and mentor them in the system...

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

A quick report from me...

Didn't rate the course much TBH - a real letdown after the peach of a parcours last week - lots of sandy mud and lots of zig-zagging between hazzard tape - all a bit unimaginative really. However, it was the same for all of us so we just got on and rode the thing.

My start was okay once again - didn't lose too many places but soon after it all started to fall apart. i can't remember the exact sequence of events but the one thing I do remember was my riduculous and totally ungainly descent down a steep technical rutted sandbank where I was astride the bike but had neither foot on a pedal :shock: - sorry Conall, you must have been embarrassed to be wearing the same kit as me... :oops:

So after half a lap or so I found myself a good minute and about 10 places behind where I would expect to be seeing my usual riding mates heading off into the distance. At this stage I could have completely given up but instead I regrouped and started making my way through riders I used to be with back in the single-speed days of last season :roll: . In a surprisingly short amount of time I found myself bearing down on my old mate from Team MK - we're currently 2rd and 3rd in the Vets standings (not for long I suspect) with the score at 2:1 to him...

Now, I beat this guy last week and was fairly sure that although his technical skills were slightly better than mine, I reckoned I had the 'grunt' to ride away at the finish for the victory. So, I rode failry steady for 20 minutes or so thinking I was riding a perfect tactical race and congratulating myself before I'd delivered the final 'coup de grace'.

2 laps to go and I was just letting him dangle waiting for the final laps to tick away until I struck hard for home. Soon after this the leader came past like a train - no bother - I was just interested in my own little battle. As I passed the pits Tom shouted 'not far to go now' - odd - as I still had over a lap to cover. Then, as I rounded the bend into the start/finish straight there was the chequered flag 100 metres ahead - DAMN - I'd not had a bell as the leader had passed us on the same lap on his way to the finish and I was now in the wrong place, in the wrong gear to start a last ditch sprint :evil: . My MK rival had clearly not made the same mistake and launched his own attack perfectly leaving me cursing my inability to read a race and stupidity at being bested by a rider I was convinced I was stronger than :cry:

So, apologies to all the support for the cursing and general grumpiness at the end - I will most definitely not make that mistake again and will be back at the A5 event on Saturday to wreak my revenge - watch this space... :twisted: :twisted:

NZxcross

Postby NZxcross » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Paul,
I meet you very briefly pre the race at Longdean as we were all busy with things to do. I’m sure we’ll have a proper catchup when time permits.

You guys to do a fantastic job in the tent recording the laps of each rider. Without the great commitment shown by people like you on race day, well there wouldn’t be a race day.

I know you guys don’t get a lot of thanks, but you are seriously appreciated by all of us racers.

Keep up the good Paul.

Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

NZxcross

Postby NZxcross » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi all,
Well, looks like we all have something to say after this round. Gotta get on here quick to get the first review in now day’s aye...
Giles, showing great commitment to do a post @ 4.39PM on the Sunday.

Anyway, I can't be so polite about this course. Chris, I apologise as I think you heard some of my mutterings in fine kiwi tones.... In a short summary, that was bo......

Now, I'm new to xcross but the clue is in the tittle, X CROSS. Xcross is not mountain biking!! I have done some hefty research before committing to this lark & was lead to believe that Xcross was meant to be a mixture of riding, technical & single track. As far as I'm concerned, Hemel was perfectly balanced in all three facets. Riding through mud past your rim getting bone shattered from extra grooves been put in it didn't do it for me.

I actually went to my citizenship ceremony this afternoon in Hatfield to get Britishised. So I'm entitled to a whinge now!!
Right enough, onto some positives. Got a good start, more reserved than usual which was all planned. Didn't go into the red so learnt something there. I had told myself repeatedly before the start that I wouldn't pass Sam & would try to follow for as long as possible. But I was travelling okay so decided to keep my pace constant & be ready for when the inevitable would occur. It took almost two full laps but when Sam got going he got going. I just couldn't find the extra speed, so just kept going at my pace which I was happy at. I was keeping some in reserve for the last two laps as I wanted a strong finish.
Middle laps were fairly uneventful, just keeping upright was a major achievement. As Conall stated, it was roughing up.

Then with three to go & reeling in the only people in front of me that I could realistically consider catching I approached the dreaded long mud pit. Did the usual fast in, trying to keep momentum. A lady rider was in front & looking to go left. That’s cool, I was heading right, but nup she had other plans. She dead stopped me right on the line & just got off the damn thing. With nowhere to go I just came to a halt. Feet down & had to run out of it. I got wicky wild as it just stopped me dead in my tracks. I lost the plot & the will to carry on. Had enough by now, it really did just snap me out of race mode.

I just rode it to the finish & will come back to fight another day. So another late thirties finish I think at best. Realistically that’s all it deserved. What I’m happy about is that I think my bike handling skills are improving. Looking forward to this weekend’s double header. Glad to see you now have a double header pass Sam!!

Cheers
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 am

Nice reports guys! Keeping me entertained :)

Well done Conall on writing your own - keep at it

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”