Rapha SuperCross - Alexandra Palace

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Chrisbro

Rapha SuperCross - Alexandra Palace

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Amazing race, great crowds and finally got my hands on some cow bells!

Conall's report below...next week ipswich National Trophy Round 2

"After a frustrating race yesterday we arrived at Alexandra Park just in time to catch a glimpse of Sam’s race. I think after his incredible ride yesterday Sam was a bit knackered and with the relentless course it was a real challenge. Sam deserved an easier course after his incredible efforts yesterday. After watching the Elites storm round it came to the start of our race.

As the Supercross series doesn’t have anything to do with National Rankings we weren’t gridded for our race so I found myself right at the back of the field. Tom had cleverly manoeuvred his way into a front row position. As I was at the back I couldn’t in fact hear the starter so reacted late to the whistle. As the rest of my rivals tore away from me I was left stranded behind weaker riders. However as the course opened up I managed to get into a decent position after the first hill climb. I soon found my pace and worked my way up through the field. I stopped passing riders and found myself in a battle with my long time rival from MK who’s a strong rider. Having only ever beaten him once I was surprised to be with him as he’s usually over a minute in front. As we came through the wall of foam for the first time I was with my rival, his older brother (who I’d never been anywhere close to) and another older rider from Velo sport. As our group of riders headed up through the trees I was on the wheel of the older of the two brothers. When I took a look back at the top of the climb I only saw the older brother and the Velo sport rider, this was when the younger brother dropped off the pace. During the bottom half of the lap I was surprised to see Scoops ever smiling and camera in hand, cheering me on. :lol:

As we finished the penultimate lap I just got another lap as the leader, the National Champion in fact, was incredibly strong and I was only 20 metres away from being lapped. It seemed then that it was just me and the older brother left to fight it out as the rider from Velo Sport had been lapped. It seemed to be not much of a fair contest though as his cleats were clogged up. So after riding on my own momentarily I was joined by another older rider, this time from Team Darenth. After a good battle I proved too strong and pulled away on the climbs. I don’t now where I finished but it was probably around 15th and I was chuffed to beat some of my central rivals. :D

Well done to Tom who I heard had a bit of a’ mare’. We have some photos of Tom smothered in foam.But despite this and his nasty crash he soldiered on. well done. The first national experience is always tough, but trust me it does get better."

Sam Williamson

Re: Rapha SuperCross - Alexandra Palace

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Cracking ride Connal - you were on fire!

Team MK have taking a bit of a beating this weekend all in all 8)

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Great report Conall! Even better riding by the sounds of it! What have you learned from this weekend? Do you usually rest the day before a race? Do you think you went better on the second day of racing or did the others decline?

Tom, we need pictures! You gotta have a sense of humour in cyclesport as the hard days do often outnumber the good ones!

Great racing guys :)

Scoops

Postby Scoops » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi guys

Well what a brilliant event! I had cow bells ringing in my ears all bleeding night!! As they said in the blurb: BIKES. MUD. COWBELLS. BEER. FRITES. It was all there!

It was great to see Tom and Connal fighting it out in your age cats but have to say that GB Nat Champion is flippin quick! Did you notice he only had 1 chain ring up front? Not sure what size it was... You both appeared to have had a great time and fought hard in your own battles. Well done lads! Well Sam BTW for doing your bit, I tried to cheer you all on when I saw you.

The 'wall of foam' was an amazing feature that added an element of fun to the racing but wow did it change the descent straight after it and then the off camber just before the 'tequila short cut' for the worse. Not only could riders not see their bikes anymore, and I guess you couldn't see yourselves, but it really made the surface very slippery. Lots of spills.

I tried to take some photos but they were pretty rubbish because it was getting dark and you were all moving too damm fast for my iPhone!. I will post some on Facebook shortly.
Scoops
HHCC Go-Ride Secretary

Scoops

Postby Scoops » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Scoops
HHCC Go-Ride Secretary

Chrisbro

Postby Chrisbro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Update from Conall below

"Thanks Gavin.
I think I learnt that you should be at the start early in non gridded races 8) and make sure to always properly warm up before the race
I don’t normally have a complete rest the day before a race and in some ways it was good to have a poor race on the Saturday so I could immediately identify what went wrong so I could change it immediately for the race the next day while it was fresh in my mind.
I think it wasn’t a case of the others declining on the second day as most of my competitors didn’t race on Saturday. I think it was just that I’d prepared more for the second race. I also seem to always perform better on the bigger stage because I think the crowds can make a difference.
Also I was stunned to hear I was 9th was expecting a top 15 if I was lucky. Thanks for the link Scoops."

NZxcross

Postby NZxcross » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi all,

Geez I'm megga gutted to have missed this event now. Sounds like a great afternoon.

Well done Tom, you've had a hard weekend of knocks & not much luck. But in a true sportsman way you carried on in the face of adversity. These hard experiences will serve you well later on as you'll be able to react to changing situations quickly & keep going. I'm sure you'll be back next week with a smile on ya face!!! Can someone post the picture on flickr as I have an adversion to using or even going to the Facebook interface.

Conall, what a season you are having. You need to just keep doing what you are doing & learning all the time. I also think its a great idea to write your own report. It will teach you to mentally examine your performance & think about what has occurred for on the day. Weekends like you've had are invaluable, its like money in the bank. As a younger rider, I believe you will learn more if you actually don't win, it'll make you tougher mentally which is such a vital component.

Will be great in a couple of years as you can teach me what I'm doing wrong as you zip straight past me....

Keep on trucking all
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”