National Trophy Round 2 - Ipswich

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Chrisbro

National Trophy Round 2 - Ipswich

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Well that was a wet day.....although the sun did shine ( briefly) it only helped make the mud shine in Ipswich!

Met Sam and Tom, cheering on Conall..which was very much appreciated in the energy sapping glue....fortunate to manage to drive out of the gras carpark at the end, Ipswich's finest Parks dept laying out extra plastic matting for those without 4 x 4s

Conalls report below....

"After being woken up to the sound of torrential rain I knew that this would be a muddy one. Though I don’t think I was prepared for the sheer amount of mud there was.
After not racing the first round of the national trophy due to a clash with a central league I was right at the back of the grid. Though I had a decent start and started to move up the field. As we approached the finish straight I felt good and was with the two MK brothers. As we headed off onto the first of 3 laps some of the riders I’d earlier passed started to overtake. Soon I was on my own but still ahead of the younger MK brother. As the course became more and more cut up it was hard to react to the constant flow of mud smashing into your face.
On the 2nd lap I finally spotted a rider up ahead and started to chase. This rider had cracked and was crawling around the course. After I passed him I had the news that the older of the MK brothers had rolled a tub and had to run half a lap as he crashed the furthest away from the pits as possible.
In the 3rd lap I began to improve again and I spotted another rider ahead. I immediately recognised him as my Inter Area Mountain Bike teammate from Baines racing. He was also a year older and it’s always nice to beat someone older. 8) I began to close the gap on the big climb but he opened up a few seconds on the flat road. I then bridged the gap again but then lost the backwheel in the mud as I tried too hard which lost me a few seconds. However I still managed to close him down and overtake. Though not for long as he again passed me, this time I couldn’t hold the wheel and close him down. I closed the gap to a few seconds on the finish straight and finished completely covered mud and absolutely shattered but happy with my performance. Looking forward to next weeks Inter Area cyclocross champs at Milton Keynes."

Sam Williamson

Re: National Trophy Round 2 - Ipswich

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Really enjoyed your gutsy performance Conall - the second race on the bounce you've beagten both MK brothers - nice 8)

Tom and I had a brilliant weekend in Ipswich - watched some fantastic racing in the Euro Champs on Saturday followed by a brutally cold and wet day of racing today.

Highlights of the weekend - shooting the breeze with Roger Hammond and Helen Wyman on a sunny late afternoon and helping Gabby Day's grandad pressure wash her bike after her race... :)

Scoops

Postby Scoops » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Connal

I'm interested to understand what tyres you are using on your cross bike especially in the extreme mud you describe in Ipswich. Also, tyre pressures? I assume you are not using tubs and so what pressures do you use?? I have the Specialized Tracer tyres on my bike and was pretty impressed with the grip but did get a snake bite puncture so assume 35-40 is too low?

Where are you racing next?
Scoops
HHCC Go-Ride Secretary

NZxcross

Tire Options

Postby NZxcross » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Scoops,

I'm using the Challenge Grifo open clincher tires. Quite exspensive at around £42 each but they are the nuts. They come in at 32mm width. My only complaint is that every time I ride I get a slow front puncture. Takes around 4-6 hours to go flat.

You can run these puppies at incredibly low pressures. I experimented on Sunday with lower pressures than normal after reading a report on Bike radar. Front 29psi rear 31psi. The report had a 6 3" rider running 27.5 front 29 rear.

I know Sam runs the Challenge Limus, which is a tyre for full deep mud. Unsure of the pressure.

Ta
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah Challenge Limus for me - I run 'fairly squidgy' on the front, 'not quite so squidgy' on the rear - depending on conditions of course... :)

Chrisbro

Postby Chrisbro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi Scoops,

We have been pretty boring ref tyres, sticking with what has come with the bike really....the current Crux comes with Specialized Tracer Pro 120TPI x 33c.. it has a CX tread and Conall has ridden dry & very muddy and only had one slip - that was last week at Ipswich and he wasn't alone in the mud!

At the Rapha event which was drier Conall didn't slip there despite some nasty transition areas between grass, mud, grit and pavement....

Conall says its more about tyre pressure apparently....and he tells me better to be slightly softer at back...but all about the conditions as well I'm told. I'm confident to say muddier means less air, drier means more 8) but every time I ask someone else at a race the answer varies...

What we do know from bitter experience is the flatter the tyre the more likely you are to get a split on the seam of the inner tube and a slow puncture..usually hitting a tree root or kerb ( when races go through pavement areas and it has an edge ).

Sam recommended we try out the Grifo (with deeper tread I think) and looking at the long range forecast for the rest of season it might well be one to consider...

Conall is with the Central Youth this Sunday up at MK for the Inter Area CX Champs...not forgetting the full range of adult races as well...I think the Central League success has led to alot more younger riders coming through in our area, so looks like 3 or 4 Youth teams at least with a good number of girls riding as well. Should be fun to watch.

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”