Central CX League Round 6 - Icknield RC

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Sam Williamson

Central CX League Round 6 - Icknield RC

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:24 pm

This was the first race for me and Tom for 3 weeks and although I'd been training consistently I was concerned about being 'race sharp'.

It was a beautiful morning up in Luton - cold but clear and bright sunshine - the course was pretty much as I'd remembered from last year with not too much technical stuff and plenty of longish grass sections to allow me to get a bit of power down - very much to my liking :)

Tom's race was fairly uneventful - the region's top Youth riders - including Connal I believe - were at the National Trophy in Southampton so it was a chance to pick up some useful League points. Tom rode strongly and once again just avoided being lapped meaning he was racing for the best part of 40 minutes - all good 'miles in legs' though 8)

In the 'main event' I was gridded 3rd row with my main MK adversary in the 2nd row although it seems it makes little difference where I'm sat at the start I'm bound to lose 10 or 15 places after the first 100 metres and so it was agian at Luton :roll:

Anyways, once again the chase was on as I kept myself out of trouble and took my time working my way through the field, passing Rico as a rider in front of him made a mistake and nearly sent him into some fierce-lookinh metal railings.

Fairly soon after I lost sight of my MK rival and assumed he was having a great day so I picked up my pace to go hunting - it was in vain however as half a lap later I spotted him sitting on the wrong side of the tapes looking decidely pee'd off and muttering something about back pain. Now this wasn't in the script so I had to reset my 'mental race clock' and make some quick decisions - I could either just pootle 'round and pick up some points or I could set my sights higher and go hunting some bigger fish - I went for option 2 :twisted:

The laps ticked by and I was really enjoying myself, finding better, faster lines round some of the twisty bits and pushing myself harder as the race went on. Once again I avoided being lapped by a matter of a hundred metres or so and was left in a one-to-one battle with a younger London-league rider who sat on my wheel for virtually the whole of the last lap and outsprinted me at the end - fair play to him - it was a good tactic and he deployed it well - no worries. Along the way I picked up the scalp of Mark Booth - a fellow Vet (Team Corley) plus a number of others.

I went home happy to have levelled the score to Hemel 3 Team MK 3 - but also a little disappointed that the win had been by default as opposed to a proper contest - still there's at least three more rounds to go so I'm sure my mate will be back to do battle again and he can drop yesterday's result as the League is decided on best 6 rides.

So all to play for in Round 7 next week at Box End Lake - a brutal course full of long, tussocky grass drags and plenty of rain forecast for the week - bring it on! :twisted:

NZxcross

Re: Central CX League Round 6 - Icknield RC

Postby NZxcross » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi all,
Being an honest sort of chap, I could take Sam’s review & run with it... but where would the fun be in that.
It was a great day & I was motivated & refreshed as we had decided earlier in the week that Saturday racing was a no goer for me. It was crisp but after a few hours out in it I certainly did start to feel it.

Got there on time to see young Tom strut his stuff. He looked full of riding to me; this little dude has got a good ticker on him for sure. I was informed that he was well up on some guys that were close to him in the past, well done Tom. Keep enjoying it, that is the main thing dude.

Now it seems that we are quite deep into the season the routines on race day are quite set now. But somehow for me, I improve something’s but completely go backwards on others. This weeks I had 2x Rocket Rons on the spare wheels (Well Stacey’s anyway). But for some reason the resistance thingy on the Taxx won't engage on that depth of tire. So that was next to useless. After twiddling for 15minutes gave that up & swapped me wheels & went to check the course out. In my wisdom I only did 3/4 of the lap, why I can't really explain it. But this was a serious mistake....

So off to the start on the fourth row behind Sam. Now this is a part of my race that I'm completely happy with. I pick of riders, duck & dive & pass on the corners as others get bogged down. So going along very nicely indeed well placed thank you. Then onto the section I hadn't reckkied. I went down the dipper (Which I'm totally useless at) which was off camber, took a bad line & tried to correct it. Big mistake trying to change direction going down & off camber. Slid from the top to the bottom in a heap. As far as crashes go this season, this was a soft one for me. But it took me ages to get going, & only just got pedalling before Sam can through. Dooh!!!

Now on this course I found it really hard to pass. It took a full on sprint out of any one of endless turns to pass. So the 6/7 places I lost on the fall were vital. I could have made it very difficult for others to pass but it wasn't to be. Sam just edged away slowly but surely. The guy is in great shape, looks even better after three weeks off....how does he do it???

I spent the rest of the race basically on my own. I did feel a touch stronger so the new training must be working. Kept the same pace all race, but can't get any faster around the corners technical stuff. Just couldn't believe it, got past by the two leaders on the single track on the last lap. But no other leaders got me. So was real disappointed not to get another lap in, getting sick of getting lapped that’s for sure. But I was satisfied with the ride, not happy just satisfied.

Was really happy not for it to be muddy though, that was starting to get too much. Not looking forward to this weekend on what Sam has said about it. Bad memories with that long tussock grass.

Cool & see ya
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

NZxcross

Re: Central CX League Round 6 - Icknield RC

Postby NZxcross » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Testing a photo guys, bear with me for a moment

by , on Flickr

Ta Paul, was struggling there for a moment. Will have to study the changes so that I'm on top of it for next time.

Anyway folks, this is the club champ Sam W on the right & Rico awaiting the start on Sunday. Cool aye....
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”