Knob of the Year Award - Have a Laugh

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

NZxcross

Knob of the Year Award - Have a Laugh

Postby NZxcross » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Well as the heading states, we have a winner for this title & there is no need waiting till the end of the season as this remarkable dumb feat surely won't be beaten. Bear with me for the full storry.

Now being new to 'cross & anything remotely offroad, it has been a great upward learning curve on the equipment side. I had done some heavy research as usual into tires & what I should probably go for. I decided in the end to shell out me hard earned money on a pair of Challenge Grifo open clinchers which aren't cheap (£45).

First question, since when did they start printing the labels on both sides of the tires?? Back in my day there was only ever one label & that went on the non-drive side. These puppies turned up a label on both sides.

So being an engineer, I had a good think & reasoned the only direction they could go was with the treaded chevron facing forward. Job done, or so I thought.

Now I've had a hell of a time trying to have any form of control since. I started the season on some Rocket Rons until these arrived. Whilst deadly slow, cornering wasn't a problem or for that matter anything else. Now I've had to corner upright, off camber is a leap of faith, anything loose well that has just been scary. I couldn't put it down to anything, was it me? Was everybody else having the same deal?

EUREKA MOMENT
Well this came on the pre grid last Sunday with me mate Sam. We were there behind Chris Smith who places in the over 40's at the Nationals. I just happened to look down & he had the same tires on. Shit, he had the chevrons facing backwards. The penny hadn't dropped jet & I even pointed it out to Sam laughing. Then he looked at me & it seemed the laugh was on me. What a knob, could the last 8 weeks of handling issues been down to this???

Looked on the web for any other riders having the same problem. The first three posts on different sites all had the same issue.......

On Monday night in the pissing down rain, I swapped the tires over & went out to play on the fields in front of the building. From the first time I touched the grass I knew it was problem solved. I could turn 180's, run up cambers, off cambers & not a twitchy nervous moment. Rode up banks & even had traction instead of spin away with no grip. Found some mud outside the church & just rode around. Got faster & faster & could even pedal around the corners too.

So there we go, a self awarded knob of the year can only be won by me.Call myself an engineer.........
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Sam Williamson

Re: Knob of the Year Award - Have a Laugh

Postby Sam Williamson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Fair play for 'fessin up' mate - so shall we expect a top 10 finish at Reading then? :shock:

BTW, the guy you're talking about is Pete Smith not Chris Smith - the latter is the bloke from MK I've been battling with all season - the other fella is the one who side-swiped me into the gloop as he came past at Box End, then DNF'd with a busted bike! :lol:

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 am

Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 am

If these were road tyres, you would have been correct - road tyres should always have the chevrons pointing in the direction of rotation. So at least you are not quite as knobish as you thought. It's only the rear tyre off-road that seems to be the odd one out. It is something many of us learned when we started off-roading.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

NZxcross

Postby NZxcross » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Sam,

Yeah I was meant to write 'Pete' but somehow still wrote Chris. Like dah....
I did see him standing there on the side there, looked real white in the face by that stage.

Top 10 @ Reading, that would be nice but a little unrealistic. Just hoping for some traction & confidence, simple stuff.

If it's seriously muddy/waterlogged I'm pretty sure I'll be riding on the Ron's. My finger was seriously hovering over the 'Purchase' button on Wiggle the other night for a pair of Challenge Limus (Full Mud's), that was until Stace caught me &.... Well you know how that normally ends up.....

Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 pm

If you want Challenge Limus they're currently on sale at £32 each here:

Just tell Stacey it's all about keeping you upright on the bike - I'm sure she wouldn't want to witness another shocking crash like the 'slippery slope of doom' at Box End on Sunday :wink: :D

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”