London X League - Round 12 Footscray, Sidcup, Kent

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

NZxcross

London X League - Round 12 Footscray, Sidcup, Kent

Postby NZxcross » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi all,
Hadn't planned to race this one but some friends coming to stay differed their trip, so we had to do something right???
Now this was the first event I ever saw at x cross three years ago as a spectator. Took me another 2years to get organised before I gave it a go tho.
This course is a real test, it has 2x long straights, 1 technical bit & one really long single track that goes up the side of a hill. Then you pop out & finish to the top on about 500m of gravel path. So this coarse is so well balanced, something in it for all, would have definitely easily be in my top 5 if conditions had been different.
But the conditions, oh dear, with so much rain the coarse had no hope. All open areas were well water logged & turning into a bog fast. The best bit was in the woods where it had some shelter.
Now for some reason, when conditions are cold, really muddy & the course is a bog, I just go backwards. But in reality I have to persist & just get better at it. Today would be no different.
Now if you haven't ridden in this league before, RIDER BEWARE. These guys take no prisoners, they ride real ruff & shoulder barges, heavy leaning & rider t-boning in corners not only seem to be tolerated but seem to be encouraged!!! I have no problem in mixing with these types, I'm no shrinking violet, but personally I think it is a better sport without it.
So into the race, felt rough right from the start. After the usual crash & bash it started to settle down slightly on lap 2. But then the chain jumped out of the guides on the rear mech. Along with all the mud collected in the cassette things were starting to run very rough back there. From the early Eastern round at Huntingdon I sort of new what was coming next. I got it round to lap four then it all just locked up. Inadvertently tried to select any old gear to get going again & didn't realise the rear mech hanger was now bent. Yep, put the rear mech into the spokes & proceeded to rip that sucker right of the frame!!
Season over. Wrecked a hanger, 2nd rear mech for the season & bent the front mech to boot!!! How funny is this, I couldn't get this mess untangled to even get the wheel out, so broke the chain & cut the gear cable. Put all this along with the rear mech in a bag & duly deposited in the bin.
It all honesty it saved me from another two laps of pain for not much reward. Was happy to come to the end of a long season even with such damp ending.
Yeah hah, off to Lisbon tomorrow for a week, so looking forward to some well-earned beers!!
Laters
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Sam Williamson

Re: London X League - Round 12 Footscray, Sidcup, Kent

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 pm

I know Footscray Meadows pretty well as it's just around the corner from my sister's place in Sidcup - I rode there in snow 2 years ago. You're right about it being a decent course but I can imagine how much it suffered with all that rain!

A shame your season ended on a mechanical low point but I'm sure you're looking forward to next season as much as Tom and me :)

Two more events for us, then it's time to focus on the tarmac for a few short months before prep for the next 'cross season starts :twisted:

Enjoy your break Rico - it's been a blast racin' with yer 8)

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”