Hemel Go Fourth in Chelmsford

Mud pluggers, enduro riders, cross country and cyclo X discussions here.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson

Hemel Go Fourth in Chelmsford

Postby Chrisbro » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 pm

We are nearly at the start of the Central CX season and an excellent series of races scheduled right through to January 2014.

Meantime, Conall's report on his latest ride earlier today in Eastern League over in Chelmsford (just over a hours drive from Hemel) in an exciting race of c 57 in Youth race, below.

After a week of rain I was desperately hoping for a mud bath as I’ve always had good races when the going gets sticky. So we set off to Chelmsford for Round 2 of the Eastern Cyclocross League, still clinging to the hope of mud even though the sun was shining. The course itself was a good one, with three sets of stairs which broke up the rhythm and would end up being crucial during the race itself.

So, after my 3rd place last week I was hoping for a front row call but, after five rows I still hadn’t been called. Finally we flagged this to the official and got shoved onto the 3rd row with people I’d lapped the previous week gridded in front of me. Inevitably this meant I lost time to the leaders within the first 300 metres as I was held back by slower riders. It was hard to keep cool and freewheel down the start straight taking in the views.
Then I started to get a move on and make my way up the field. I powered by the winner of last week, who had won by over a minute, as I was stronger today and he tried to get my wheel but he couldn’t quite get there. I then passed another Welwyn rider and slotted into 4th.

I’d remain here for the majority of the race but I came ever so close to third. I was on his wheel for a moment but was absolutely dead after doing pretty much three laps full on and I had nothing to say when he put in a dig and dropped me for good. Despite the start, I finished satisfied with my effort and getting back into the race, overtaking so many riders to receive the unexpected 4th place prize money! Thanks organisers!

Very satisfying was also the fact I pulled a couple of minutes on the rider who beat me by a minute the previous week. Looking forward to the next round on Saturday! Then on to Hillingdon and the season really starts!! :D

Paul Thomson

Re: Hemel Go Fourth in Chelmsford

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 am

Good reports Conall - and good riding too.

Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Return to “MTB and Cyclo X”