Conall Back In Action

Discussion area for the Youth section and Go Ride initiatives

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, hbojarski

Chrisbro

Conall Back In Action

Postby Chrisbro » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 pm

On the way to an early start Eastern 'Mud, Sweat & Gears' race at Hinchingbrooke yesterday morning, Conall and myself saw time trailers out on the A1 and we think we spotted a Hemel Jersey across the road. We gave a cheer just in case! :)

Conall was riding in Round 6 of the Eastern MTB XC series in only his 4th competitive race in the season after being off the bike for 4 months - ankle break and ligament damage - not from cycling but from over enthusiastic youth club event in Northchurch !

On a very flat, almost cyclo cross type course yesterday, Conall came in 5th in the Youth race, against some strong competition. On the previous 5th Round on 14th July Conall excelled on a technical and challenging XC course, coming in 4th overall, just behind a couple of the top 10 riders in the UK currently. Very happy with that result!

These came after first forays back into competitive racing in Southern XC rounds in May and June with 16th and 11th places respectively. Not finishing last after such a long time off the bike was a good result.

Having read all the new Club records on time trialling, one event Conall tried was at Hillingdon on 16th June for the GHS London West District time trial on the closed circuit where, on his cyclo cross bike (with roads tyres) Conall managed, rather amazingly to be fastest 14 year old boy. With a time of 27.09, which was well down the field overall, Conall was certain he could have gone faster as he still felt he had the legs, just not sure on the flat road surface compared to CX or XC racing! :D

With not long before the new cyclo cross season starts we are hoping that Conall won’t grow out of last year’s bike over the summer holidays! It looks like it will be a close run thing. :wink:

Sam Williamson

Re: Conall Back In Action

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:58 am

Hey Chris and Conall,

Great to hear you're back in action getting some good results already.

I apologise for failing to mention Conall's TTing performance in my write-up - sounds like a great result - we could do with a few more 'under 40's TTing for the Club...

Tom is very much looking forward to the CX season - I guess he'll need to do some training some time!

See you both soon.

S

Return to “Youth Coaching and Go Ride”