Monthly club run for young riders

Discussion area for the Youth section and Go Ride initiatives

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, hbojarski

hbojarski

Monthly club run for young riders

Postby hbojarski » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:57 pm

On the first Saturday of every month we will be running an off-road club run for young riders. It will depart at 10am and will be a 15minute bike check & warm-up followed by a ride on the tracks and bridleways finishing at 12 noon. It is aimed principally at 8-13 year olds who are competent riders. Helmet compulsory for young and old heads alike. Bring a drink and snack. Please email goride@hemelcycling.org.uk if you are a young rider who'd like to join us. It is free to try once, then if you like it and want to come again we ask you to join the club (only £5 per year).

Start point varies according to the trail conditions so contact a coach to check.

Anyone interested in helping out occasionally then please do get in touch with me or any of the coaches.
Last edited by hbojarski on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen B

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:34 pm

Helen B

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm

Another 9 young riders went up to Ashridge to ride in the mud for 2 hours last Saturday, including some more new faces. God must be a Go-rider as the sun shone again all morning. In true mtb style I hear there were a few tumbles but no injuries. Thanks to Steve for stepping in at the last minute and to all the helpers. See you on 1st March for the next installment.
Helen B

hbojarski

Re: Monthly club run for Go-riders

Postby hbojarski » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:54 pm

What was I thinking of last month? 1st March?? That's next month! On Saturday 2 Feb we had a rubbish weather forecast but still 6 hardy young riders and a few slightly less hardy adults met up in Ashridge. The sun shone AGAIN which took the edge off the cold air, and we had a fantastic two and a quarter hours with a few hills, many deer, quite a bit of mud and a lot of hard pedalling. The riders have a fantastic spirit, with not a single grumble from anyone despite the cold and a couple of detours. Roll on the next one - which really will be 1st March!
Helen B

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm

I had fully intended coming along Saturday, but woke up with a cold developing nicely... Which has developed into full-on man flu... :roll:
Sadly I am otherwise occupied commissairing on Saturday 1 March at MK Bowl so can't make it then either.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:39 pm

You missed a treat as we had a couple more new faces as well as some regulars. 8 young riders plus some parents too as well as the ride leaders so we split into two groups. My lot headed off for bombhole alley and did some exciting practice before finishing up with an off-road obstacle course / time trial. Great weather and dry trails, I think it was the best fun we've had yet.
Helen B

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Despite school holidays and forecast of snow a couple of hardy riders were put through their paces by Steve, Simon and the crew.

Next month the ride is put back to Saturday 17th May to tie up with the Bike skills course that starts this weekend.
Helen B

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 pm

Great turnout of 11 riders plus parents & helpers for the June ride. Thanks to Clare for leading the ride. I've updated the list of dates at the top of this thread and the next Ashridge ride is Saturday 5 july, again led by Clare along with Scoops. If possible please let either of them or me know in advance if you want to come along so we have a vague idea of numbers.
Helen B

hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 pm

I've updated the list at the top of the page again with the rides up to Christmas. Note change of venue for November where we will be doing some cyclo-X practice at Longdean instead of Ashridge trails.
Helen B

hbojarski

Re: Monthly club run for young riders

Postby hbojarski » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:07 pm

We are now regularly getting 12-16 riders and the next ride is this coming Saturday 2 May departing 10am from the war memorial car park near Berkhamsted golf club, top of New Road by the castle.
Helen B

hbojarski

Re: Monthly club run for young riders

Postby hbojarski » Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 pm

June ride is Saturday 6th but will be combined with summit mtb at Lotts Wood. Longer mtb ride out to the Heath for older riders, skills session and circuit racing for less confident. Contact the coaches for more details.
Helen B

Return to “Youth Coaching and Go Ride”