Discussion area for the Youth section and Go Ride initiatives

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, hbojarski

Postby hbojarski » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:48 pm

What did you think of the Go-ride discussion last night? I fully support Roger in going for the application. It's a great opportunity to get more young people into the club - but evidently quite a lot of work for quite a lot of people too.

It was apparent that the club can't really do this without more coaches, so being a lady of (comparative) leisure today, I've been browsing the BC website & checking out what is needed to be a coach.

Apart from the time & money, it is also necessary to have a basic first aid qualification. I've just emailed a query to BC about what exactly this has to be. Would many people would be interested in doing thi too, as if there are 8 people or more it could be economic (and more fun) to put on a course at the club at the weekend. I could do with the qualification anyway for orchestra practice (it's dangerous in the string section).

Steven Oglesby

Postby Steven Oglesby » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:28 pm

The level 2 coaching course sounded like quite a lot of work (and there are no courses available anyway). However, I got the impression that if we got 3 or 4 level 1 coaches we could do quite a lot just based on the pre-planned sessions in the 'cartoon books', and we could always press Gavin or Debs to come up with some other sessions.

So I am more than willing to go for the level 1 training (and therefore the 1st aid stuff as well).

I also got the impression last night that there was a lot of paper work to be done, but that actually getting started with planning sessions and venues for sessions and actually starting running them was pretty much separate to this. I would therefore suggest that we should pursue the Club Mark status, but should also get a move on with the other stuff as well as set ourselves a target of when to run our first session. Say at Easter?

Postby hbojarski » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:10 pm

I had a reply from BC and it is the HSE approved "Appointed persons" course which is needed as a minimum. This takes 1 day. If you work you may be able to get this funded by your employer.

The excat info from Michelle Smith is:

First Aid Qualification Requirements

The minimum first aid requirement for all British Cycling coaching qualifications is a Health and Safety Executive Appointed Person’s First Aid Certificate. You must submit written evidence of having completed an appropriate first aid course (i.e. a copy of your valid first aid certificate) with your application to enrol on a British Cycling coaching course. Thereafter, it is your responsibility to ensure that the certificate is kept valid by attending update courses. Your British Cycling coaching licence and insurance is only valid when you are in possession of a current first aid certificate and valid British Cycling membership (gold or silver level).

Health and Safety Executive Appointed Person’s First Aid courses cover the following minimum content:

• What to do in an emergency
• Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation
• First aid for the unconscious casualty
• First aid for the wounded or bleeding

The duration of such a course is usually 6-8 hours and the cost varies according to the organisation delivering it. British Cycling do not deliver first aid courses as our tutors are not trained to do so, however courses are run by various first aid organisations. The contact details of three organisations that may be running courses in your area are listed below.

• British Red Cross
T: 0845 606 1112
E: ctinfo@redcross.org.uk
W: http://www.redcross.org.uk

• St John Ambulance
T: 08700 10 49 50
E: Regional e-mail addresses can be found on the St John Ambulance website
W: http://www.sja.org.uk/training

• St Andrew’s Ambulance Association
T: 0141 332 4031
E: firstaid@staaa.org.uk
W: http://www.firstaid.org.uk/

Local Authorities also run courses that are operated by the major providers. First aid certification is a requirement of most governing body coaching qualifications, and so your Local Authority Sports Development Officer may also be able to help. [quote][/quote]

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 pm

I am up for doing both a coaching course and the first aid course.

Did you check Helen whether there were any places further away on Level 2 courses?

Don't mind Shrewsbury or Manchester for the Weekend if that is where it needs to be.
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Postby max » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 pm

Check whether or not there are any private firms doing first aid courses - there are firms near me doing acceptable courses for half the price of St John.
Now second claim HHCC member.

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:30 pm

I will try to find out about other courses. I may be able to take the course through work as well with a bit of luck. Depends how many first-aiders we have in the department at the moment.
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Postby hbojarski » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:43 pm

There are places early next year on level 1 & level 2 courses at Shrewsbury, Derby, Swindon, Manchester etc...

Level 2 can be found on the BC site at:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... _Award.asp

And level 1 at
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... _Award.asp

Although level 1 is quite a lot less work, the extra responsibility & independence you can have with a level 2 ticket could be valuable in the future.

Go Ride

Postby neilbradburn » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Things I see we need to tackle are:
- train people up to run sessions (both first aid and coaching). Q. how many people do we need at a minimum - 2,3,4?
- find a suitable location for a session.
- advertise the session through school visit/s and the media.

I think we should have the first two of these under our belt before tackling the third.

As with Steve I'm also willing to partake in a level 1 coaching coarse and the pre requisite first aid course with the intention of running pre-planned sessions.

I agree with Steve that we should set ourselves a target date to get the sessions running, otherwise the project will languish.

Jonny Boy

Postby Jonny Boy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 pm

You really need two coaches per session but there is nothing wrong with recruiting additional helpers as the sessions. Any willing responsible club members or parents can be used to help with setting up of courses, registration and other form filling and just general encouragement.

The BC courses are very good and I recommend them. I think there has been a sizeable price hike recently so I suggest looking for funding from local sponsors or within the club itself is a good idea. We also have fund raising at Sherwood CC and my company donates £250 per year to people who invest their time in local projects so worth asking around. It didn't amount to much but I denoted my prize money winnings for one year into the fund.

The Club Mark paperwork isn't that challenging and your local BC Region Development Officier or BC directly can supply forms that will ease this process. You will need to have several other roles in place to prove you are a well run club. These include assigning a Welfare officer, publicity officer, First Aid etc.

The MOST vital thing is to find a suitable venue. We lost ours this year and it has really stalled our Go-Ride activities. :( This can take some work to sort out but having a clubroom is a massive bonus as you can run related club activities, such as spinning, gym etc and if you have someone qualified to run these you can even charge the local public to come along to raise more funds. It also provides an excellent base for meetings to progress things. Links with other local clubs, such as Triathlon with HHCC and running clubs is encouraged and it is even better if you can form links with other Go-Ride clubs (could be a BMX club for example).

Let me know if you have any specific questions. :D

Return to “Youth Coaching and Go Ride”