Beyond Spring Crits March 19th

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Sam Williamson

Beyond Spring Crits March 19th

Postby Sam Williamson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Huge congratulations to Ian Baynes for securing a superb 2nd place in a very quick 4th Cat race today at Hillingdon.

He rode strongly throughout and the placing was definately well deserved.

I was caught napping as we passed the bell and spent the last lap chasing to try and get in the final sprint - failing to do so :evil:

The smart money has Baynsey being promoted next week while I spend a few more races suffering with the pace before packing it in and training for the '12'...

Ian Baynes

Re: Beyond Spring Crits March 19th

Postby Ian Baynes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks Sam,
I’d certainly had my Weetabix (quite literally) today. My legs were in pretty good shape and I was adamant to make amends for my DNF at the Spring Chicken RR the previous week. My first ever sprint finish was an interesting experience…. click, click, click up to the 13t sprocket and attack with 250m to go. Very nearly a win but I couldn’t quite pass the eventual winner. Still £20 in prize money is quite handy.

Next week we’ll have to see what transpires, anything can happen in racing (cliché alert) and we are all capable of delivering both good and bad performances.

As an aside we are planning a bit of two-up Team Time Trialling at the Lampard RC open 10 event on the 14/05/11, running on F12/10. Any other club members fancy forming a duo to join both me and Sam and maybe try and win the team award for the club?

Baynesy

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Well done Ian! Excellent result. Sounds like you have learnt about placing in the field for the finish already, and have some big horse power to go with the sprint.
Maybe next time you try doing a bit of a lead-out session (a la Mark Cavendish) to lead out Sam from a long way out (like 1/2 to 2/3 lap) - then Sam can come off your wheel in the last 250m to hopefully get a good placing. Requires both of you to be at the head of affairs in the previous lap or so of course.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks Thomo,
I’ve had a lot of advice and coaching from both you and Chris Grange (Chad) that I managed to apply during the race to get the result.
Maybe we’ll give your plan a try this weekend and see if I can manage to do a Mark Renshaw style (without the head butting) lead out for Sam. It would be brilliant if we can pull it off and get a Hemel one-two and both get promoted to 3rd Category status.
Ian

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks Paul for the idea and Ian for the offer - I'd also need the legs which had definately deserted me on Saturday :oops:

I'll give it another go at the weekend but I'm not expecting much TBH - I think the Hillingdon races are about 3hrs too short for me :roll:

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 am

Sam
You can always go out and do a three hour warm up before the start if you think it will help.

Simon
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Return to “Road and Track Racing”