BC West Thames Series 4 26/04/11 Race Report

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Ian Baynes

BC West Thames Series 4 26/04/11 Race Report

Postby Ian Baynes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 am

Report no 2 of my rookie season.
Both Chad and I entered the 4th round of the BC West Thames Series at Hillingdon on Tuesday evening (26/04/11) in the combined 3rd & 4th Category race.

Due to the failing daylight, the race was scheduled to be a short 40 minutes plus 3 laps sprint (to be honest it was so cold and windy that I didn’t mind the reduced race distance). As usual there were a few breakaway attempts amongst the field but the strong headwind on the finishing straight made it really tough for any of the attempts to stick.
After chasing down a late attack, I looked down at my computer to see that the race had only been running for 36 minutes. I decided to nestle back into the main bunch to take a breather and plan my strategy for the last 3 laps, the next moment the last lap bell rang! They had decided to further shorten the race further to avoid us getting embroiled with the concurrently running E/1/2/3 race. I got my head down and made some very ambitious and firm passing manoeuvres to cut through the field. As we exited the last corner I’d passed around twenty riders and was nearing the top ten as the sprint unfolded. I crossed the line unable to speak after the exertion. Final result; me in 3rd place, Chad took 7th after getting baulked behind a slower rider.

My next race involves a trip to the seaside for the Brighton Mitre Hove Park Criterium on Friday 29th April.

Baynesy

Paul Thomson

Re: BC West Thames Series 4 26/04/11 Race Report

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 am

Some really good work there guys. Very encouraging.

I think maybe you might be ready to move to a points giving race to step up the quality and efforts. Regular top 10 (or top 3!) rides is indicative of this.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Paul,
You are absolutely right, it’s time to move up a level. From now on I’m targeting points races (hence the Brighton race tomorrow) that will allow me to upgrade to E/1/2/3 level, I only need a top eight finish to reach the requirement. Once that happens things are going to get a lot tougher for me. Easy is boring anyway. :wink:
Chad has been racing at the higher level this season and is itching to move back up, it’s only loyalty to me that’s holding him back!
Ian

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Great work Ian - looks like you're a 'natural born racer'!

All the best for Brighton mate - I'm expecting great things 8)

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Mon May 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Cograts again on your 3 cat mate,great work.
Enjoyed that last race we did,in hindsight we should have attacked together on the last 3 laps (wont get those chances so often in the e123 races)but as you say the bell was dinging before we knew what was happening.Some great riding to get back up the front so quickly and grab 3rd....nice one...as for me oh dear could nt have picked a worse wheel to follow up the final straight into a block headwind....the tiniest bloke in the field...by the time my oxygen starved brain had managed to comprehend he was doing me no favours and that I needed to sprint for it and sprint now! the bunch was passing us by, just managed to grab a few places back for 7th grrrrrr... all good experience though.
see ya next time

Return to “Road and Track Racing”