Team helpers wanted July 10th

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Ian Baynes

Team helpers wanted July 10th

Postby Ian Baynes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:25 am

Chris Grange (Chad) and me are looking for helpers to pass us bidons on the climb through Cublington when we participate in the TMG Horizon Road Race on July 10th. Details:
The race is five and a half laps in duration and we will probably need bottles at the end of laps two and four. If anyone can come and assist us in this challenging race I promise to buy them lunch.
Let me know,
Baynesy

Sam Williamson

Re: Team helpers wanted July 10th

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Ian,

With what you're doing for us on the '12' how could I say no?

I'd planned a long training ride that day but I can ride over and back with a rucksack so that should do it - we'll chat Thursday.

Sam

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for volunteering Sam, brilliant.
We could still do with a few more people to help and just as importantly support us.

Baynesy

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 pm

We'll rally the troups on Thursday - I'm sure the Hemel massive won't let us down! :lol:

Anyway, who's that riding a TT bike in your avatar? I thought you were a road racer not a tester!

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am

Last plea for help or support.
If anyone can make themselves available for a couple of hours on Sunday to help Sam provide Chris & me with drinks during the race it would be greatly appreciated.
I understand that most people have weekend commitments but see what you can do, and let me know through the usual channels.
Many thanks,
Baynesy

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Wot news????

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Jeez, what a disappointment!

I hit a pothole at around 35 mph after only 5 miles knackering my rear rim and tyre. Neutral service seemed to take ages to get to me. After a fumbled change my chain slipped off the front sprocket and cost me even more time. With no riders or vehicles to pace me back it was game over. I tried to solo it back to the bunch but a four-five minute deficit was too much to make up on my own. DNF I'm afraid.
Chad rode really well, always near the front of the main group and finished in a very respectable top-half placing (result TBC).Well done Chris!
I've entered the Luton CC race on the same course on the 7th Aug this evening as revenge.
2 DNFs in 2 races due to punctures, time to switch tyre allegiances from France to Germany I think.
Thanks to Sam and Steve for all their support. Watch this space :evil:

Baynesy

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:13 am

A real bummer for Ian - he was well and truly buzzing pre-race - at least his race ended with all his skin intact - 'that's bike racing' as they say...

Chris Grange rode strongly throughout - including 6 ascents of Cublington Hill - nasty :shock: - and crossed the line with the main group which had been much reduced due to punctures from some and lack of fitness from others.

For me, I managed to hand up a bottle without bringing down the whole peleton so I consider that a success! :lol:

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 am

Chad G

Re:A Big Thankyou

Postby Chad G » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks very much Sam and Steve for the support and great bottle handovers much appreciated,and Ian s missus Vicky for the life bringing dinner after the race superb...
Next time Ian definately dont wear your lucky cap mate lol, that must have been so annoying you handled it great though especially after the spring chicken and the last lap puncture at hillingdon, I would have been stamping my foot and cussing for much longer Im sure...
I got a bit over excited and worked hard in a few groups chasing down breaks (as per hillingdon crits) but the extra 35 miles battered my legs they started to cramp up in the final lap so when the time came for the hill finish,brain said "Sprint" legs said... "No ! "
Gutted I missed out on the points once more grrrr but was a great race, I ll make sure Im a bit more prepared next time.
thanks again all
Chris

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 pm

I am currently a bit of a fan of Panaracers, at least on my TT wheels.
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Steve Hewitt

Postby Steve Hewitt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:34 pm

No tyre manufacturer will guarantee no punctures but I've got on best with Conti's. I was even advised by a British Pro Team owner (name not mentioned to protect the innocent!) that his team use Conti 4000s because they seem to come out best for all-round racing/riding. Horses for courses though, you can just be unlucky. Which Ian certainly was (your day will come). Great ride by Chris, a truly hard pushed ride. So hard he nearly couldn't find the HQ after the finish! All the blood in the legs not in the head. :)

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 am

FWIW - Panaracer EVO 3 - currently £22 from Wiggle i believe down from c £35 - the most reliable tyres i have used in modern times - light grippy and v fast. :)
Again FWIW Conti 4-Seasons are oddly the most reliable winter/training tyre by far, but only in the folders, the wired on Gatorskins are made of different rubber which seems to have been specially formulated to have no grip whatsover in the wet :shock:

John Dowling

Postby John Dowling » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

Return to “Road and Track Racing”