Conor's season finishes on a high

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

The Dunnes

Conor's season finishes on a high

Postby The Dunnes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Conor Dunne, leading VL Technics Abutriek team-mates, Christophe Sleurs (obscured) Ed Theuns, Brecht Dhaene and Dimitri Peyskens)

Conor powered his team mates in the Belgian squad VL Technics Abutriek to a creditable second place in last Sunday’s end of season team time-trial in the TopCompetition series in Belgium. Competing against pro-continental and continental squads they averaged a speed in excess of 47kph to record a time of 40.34 for the 32k course around Lac de l'Eau d'Heure, and only lost the top spot by 15 seconds to the pro-continental professionals of Topsport Vlaanderen Mercator led by ex-World U23 Time-Trial Champion Dominique Cornu.

The result was greeted with some surprise by many knowledgeable Belgian onlookers as the competition for second place expected to be fought out between the top continental teams of Lotto Bodysol, Wallonie Bruxelles Credit Agricole and An Post Sean Kelly, with the top club teams of Ovyta-Eijssen, Omega-Phama-Lotto-Davo, and EFC–Quick.Step also trying to get in on the action.

Conor said the result was really pleasing and in large part thanks to the meticulous preparations of team time-trial coach Khristof De Kegel. His DS Rudy Vandenheede was pretty pleased too as the result counted as 1st place (Topsport Vlaanderen as a Pro-continental team not counting for the series point) and secured eight place for the team in the season long TopCompetition series, guaranteeing their invitation among the top Belgian clubs to the 2012 series.

Conor will be staying with VL Technics Abutriek next season in a slimmed down squad that will be aiming to improve its standing. His first season away from home as an U23 rider in Flanders has been a rapid learning curve of watching, learning and gaining experience. Conor said ‘I’ve had some great times along the way, riding for Ireland in the RAS, the U23 European Championships and UCI races was a great honour and a massive opportunity to develop. I am now resting up briefly before getting into my winter training, and I’m already looking forward to getting back to Belgium next season and putting into practice what I have learnt this year.’
Result
1 Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator 0:40:19
2 VL Technics-Abutriek cycling team 0:40:34
3 Lotto-Bodysol Pole Continental Wallon 0:40:50
4 Ovyta-Eijssen-Acrog cycling team 0:40:51
5 Wallonie Bruxelles - Credit Agricole 0:41:04
6 Cycling Team Soenens-Construkt Glas 0:41:05
7 Jong Vlaanderen-Bauknecht 0:41:21
8 Omega Pharma-Lotto-Davo 0:41:37
9 EFC-Quick.step cycling team 0:42:22
10 An Post-Sean Kelly 0:42:35
11 Profel-Bofrost-Prorace cycling team 0:42:47
12 BCV Works CT Ingelmunster 0:43:09
13 Rock Werchter cycling team 0:43:12
14 Van Goethem/Prorace CT 0:43:40
15 Terra Footwear-Bicycle Line 0:45:02

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Re: Conor's season finishes on a high

Postby Simon Hemington » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 am

Fantastic effort Conor.
Did you get much shelter when you peeled off and went behind the little guy at the back?

Hope for some amazing results next year as you break through the next ceiling.
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Return to “Road and Track Racing”