Thames Velo Spring RR, 22/04/12

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Giles Haley

Thames Velo Spring RR, 22/04/12

Postby Giles Haley » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

So it's just Gav and I (plus, of course, 78 others !) lining up for the Thames Velo event on the Great Milton circuit on Sunday...

0930 start, 2.75 laps totalling 43 miles.

The only other familiar name in the field is former Hemel man Mark Jervis, creeping into the 3rd Cats with Python RT.

Apparently the organiser returned more entries than he accepted for both events - good that the sport is increasingly popular, but not that great if you're trying to get in !

Sam Williamson

Re: Thames Velo Spring RR, 22/04/12

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

There's a couple of us hoping to come over and give you a shout - plan is to meet at Gt. Missenden at 9:30am - carpark between the double roundabout and the town centre - hope to get there in time to see you lead out Gav in the sprint... :P

Giles Haley

Postby Giles Haley » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Cool, what a team !

I have a score to settle with this course - I got absolutely hammered (no alcohol involved, sadly) last year in the pouring rain, it was a dreadful day.

I'm trying to get selection for the Railways World Champs in September too - a 4-day stage race in the Czech Republic. I have until 31st May to pull a rabbit out of the hat before the selector's gavel falls....2 places left on the 6 man team and 6 riders on the shortlist including me ! :o

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Update:

Sorry chaps - I'm going to have to change plans re. supporting - I've been asked to do some cycle coaching (they must be desperate!) with Tom's triathlon club at Hillingdon so can't risk being caught in the middle of Oxfordshire with a mechanical, puncture or suchlike...

All the very best to you - I'm sure you'll do your Club proud - we'll be expecting a full report posted up by Sunday evening, latest :D

Giles Haley

Postby Giles Haley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:24 pm

So, the positives from the Haley-cam...it was sunny, I got a decent warmup and wasn't starving when I started (all of which happen to be the complete opposite of Thursday evening...)

In fact it was all going quite well, given that last September I was properly shelled out in the first 5 miles on this course ! I was getting in the right positions, moving up and tapping up the climbs nicely in the front half of the bunch, never in any trouble, even as the bunch nudged 30mph on the flats.

Then, with a lap to go it all went pearshaped for me. I got on a bad wheel up the climb and was boxed in on the right gutter watching the bunch rattle past (not what I was expecting, as I knew the guy in front - thought he was a safe bet). I got out eventually and, drama over, tagged on towards what was now the rear end of the bunch, only to encounter drama number two. An oncoming car had decided to stop in the middle of the narrow road at the crest of the climb (it later transpired that he had apparently taken exception to his Sunday morning having been disturbed for 30 seconds by a road race and was being a pillock). Anyway, I was boxed again and heading straight for this guy's bonnet, ending up virtually stopping. Thus the chase was on again, this time with a gap off the back and in completely the wrong gear.

After about two or three miles of seeing double and my lungs preparing to exit via the nearest orifice, it became evident that the bunch had got it together for the iminent prime and that was the end of that.

In order to ensure adequate punishment for such a schoolboy error, I put my head down and set about time trialling the 15 miles to the finish. A small grupetto formed towards the end and I rolled over the line thoroughly titsed off.

Had things gone a bit smoother, I'm certain I would have been safely crossing the line in the bunch, but that's road racing. There's all the excuses in the world, but the bottom line is I didn't have the power when I needed it.

Can't speak for Gav's finish, but he spent most of the race on the front, I kept seeing the Hemel jersey bobbing up in front !

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Unlucky Giles, seems like you had the legs but not the luck today - hope it doesn't jeopardise your chance of team selection.

Any news from nearer the front? :wink:

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey Giles,
Very thorough and in depth race report. Sounds like you were going well until the last prime. Road racing has so many variables that most of the time come down to luck (or lack of it sometimes). Take the positives from your performance.

Let me know your season plans and we'll try to get some teamwork going if possible.
My (penciled in) upcoming events are going to be MK Bowl on alternate Thursdays (if dry), Millbrook Classic for Men (if my entry was accepted) and the CC Ashwell event near Cardington.

Giles Haley

Postby Giles Haley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks Ian, you're right of course. A few guys were saying it was a hard event, so by comparison to my performances over the last 3-5 years, it's major progress. The BC report says riders were getting shelled from the get go. Given that, the converse is that it was even more annoying not to be able say I got a bunch finish ! Anyway, onwards...

I had eyeballed those two races too, but I'm a bit disorganised on the entries at the moment. I do need to get some more events in, for sure, so I'll see what the deal is with entries.

I'm timekeeping at the club 10 this Thursday, but planning to rock up at The Bowl, weather permitting, on 3rd May for a large helping of pain... :twisted:

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 am

The result of the race belied its difficulty, there were many attempts to break the bunch but there were also some spectacular efforts to keep it together for no apparent reason! The was one phenomenally strong guy from Banbury Star who was a bunch engine of the highest standard who really impacted the race - of course neither him or his team got a result so you have to wonder what he was doing! That's 3rd cat racing for you.

I didn't feel great, I think my tree pollen allergy is worsening and had a fairly tough weeks training (this was a low priority race) but I gave it several cracks but the bunch was too strong and I'd cooked myself before the sprint. I attacked through the bell after taking 2nd in the prime but that was the nail in my coffin really. Mark Jervis got away with another guy with half a lap to go but as with all the attacks that preceded it it as never given enough distance to survive the finish hill. In the last 2km people were pilling down the right hand side of the road into incoming traffic which ruined the finish really and I sat up with 200m to go as there was no way through - the winners were largely unseen near to the front prior to the finish - its a nice circuit but does seem to favour negative racing (that's a legitmate tactic obv).

Off to Wales this weekend to the concrete mountain - expect wind :)

Return to “Road and Track Racing”