Support your local road racers! Sunday May 20th

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Sam Williamson

Support your local road racers! Sunday May 20th

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon May 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Following on from the 'Millbrook' thread looks like we could form a fair-sized posse of Hemelings to go and cheer on the lads (Baynsey, ChadG and Giles) at the CC Ashwell Primavera Road Race on Sunday May 20th. The race starts at 9:30am and it's probably a 2 hour ride (approx. 35 miles) depending on the exact route we take.

The race is laps of a circuit so we should see plenty of action if we get there at a reasonable hour - we can then join the boys in their victory celebrations (or help them mend their punctures :roll: ).

Can I suggest meeting at Hemel Station at 7:30am with another rendezvous somewhere a little closer - suggestions welcome.

Who's up for it?

Paul Thomson

Re: Support your local road racers! Sunday May 20th

Postby Paul Thomson » Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 am

I was supposed to be Chief Comm for this race (as I have been for several years), but sadly on that day I shall be sunning myself on Miami Beach... 8)

Good luck to Baynesey, Chad , Giles and co in the race and for those riding out to support... good on ya! I reckon it's a good 40 miles from Hemel station to Cople village hall as it's the furthest point on the course away from Hemel to there!

In previous years they have got that nice Miss V Pendleton to award the prizes... So that may be an incentive for you!

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks very much Sam it will be great to see ya`all
Always adds a bit of extra zip to the legs when theres some Hemel support...Hows the training going by the way?
Hey Paul and whose gonna dish out the fines to those number folding Roadies if you aint there lol... have a great holiday..
oh yeah won 15 quid at hillingdon a few weeks back think I was 3rd or 4th 3rd cat over the line in what was the coldest/toughest hour of racing Ive ever had...from the off the 1st /2nd cats and elite were really pushing the pace hard got dropped out the back,struggled/grovelled begged to get back on and was hiding in the bunch recovering,when what started off sunny/mildish weather turned into sqally icy rain and hail mid race, just about finished me off. we froze, yuk but hey the £15 made it all worth while lol

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Mon May 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Sam,Geoff,Helen and Steve for turning up to give us a shout much appreciated sorry we couldnt give you more to shout about though...
Have nt spoken to Giles yet but I think me and Baynsey very much regret not getting the bit between our teeth and attacking as no organised chasing was happening we got caught up in the non committal bunch (typical 3rd cat racing ay Gav lol),and ended up watching/marking other riders waiting for a decent break to join and not taking the initiative and making our own move.
On the plus we rode well together and moved around the bunch smoothly until the last lap when it got hectic on the final climb, we`d left it too late to position for the finish and as riders seemed to be going backwards at us,boxed in Ian hooked bars with someone and luckily escaped going down,I managed to weave round a few more but ran out of steam and space...
All in all had a great day though and thanks very much again for the support.
Hopefully Baynsey will give a much more detailed race report and name check the winner whose name Ive embarrassingly forgotten but he made a superb gritty solo effort to very deservedly win

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Tue May 22, 2012 3:07 pm

To add to what Chris has written, the race was impressively won by Stephen Nunn of Arctic Sram RT in a solo effort that seemed doomed to failure but somehow worked, chapeau!

Chris and I rode together well and stayed up at the front for most of the race. There seemed very little attacking spirit in the bunch and if there had been a few more of us we could have maybe attacked. Instead I spent most of the race marking Twenty3C all to no avail as come the finish it all went wrong and neither Chris nor I got any points and Twenty3C took 3rd, 4th & 9th places.
We rolled in with the bunch in 19th & 25th places :cry:

Thanks must got to Giles and especially Chris for making the race a lot more fun than it otherwise would have been.
Cheers to Steve, Sam Geoff & Helen for riding over to support us (most appreciated) and to Carmelo and all at CC Aswell for being so friendly.

Next time hey?
Last edited by Ian Baynes on Tue May 22, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey guys - we loved it - flashing our club kit at the top of the prime hill - glad we didn't have to ride up it 4 times and then sprint for the 5th :shock:

You gave us something to shout about - I'm sure we were louder than the others :lol:

As for the winner...he was so completely knackered when he crossed the line a few seconds ahead of the peleton we all assumed he was a back marker from the previous lap - he couldn't even manage a smile let alone any sort of victory celebration - unbelievable effort!

I captured places 2 to 25 on a short video clip - nice to see Baynsey throwing his bike at the finish line even though there was no-one within 3 meters of him - clearly practicing for the next time... :D

Return to “Road and Track Racing”