Corley Series 2012, MK Bowl

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Giles Haley

Corley Series 2012, MK Bowl

Postby Giles Haley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:39 am

Finally made it to "The Bowl" last night after a couple of failed attempts in previous weeks.

Heavy shower on arrival, but it ended up dry for the event - always a bonus around there ! The race format was 30mins clockwise on the inner circuit, then 30mins with the additional "lower loop" through the car park.

The clockwise inner is, in my view, the easiest combo, and this was demonstrated by my first half performance - never at full power and quite comfortable to be honest, with heart rate 140-150, staying up front. Once the extra loop was added, the race gets much more technical with 4 proper corners and exit accelerations, the last one back onto the uphill section of the inner circuit. At this point, things got a bit grippy. I realised the risk, and was trying for a lap ahead to get to the front ready for the first loop, but so was everyone else and I was still in the second half of the bunch when the fun started. Things very quickly strung out and I was needing full power out of that 4th corner every time. This highlights again my current weakness, and the engine room couldn't chuck out that kind of power every lap for long enough. Eventually the elastic snapped on that 4th corner and I completed the last 15-20 minutes as a two-up with another chap who'd been blown out.

Nevertheless, given that 2 years ago when I competed there regularly, I never lasted much longer than 15 minutes in the bunch, things are on the up, but by my Achilles Heel is clearly evident when things get hairy.

Got to say, though, damn sight more fun than a "10" !! :D

Sam Williamson

Re: Corley Series 2012, MK Bowl

Postby Sam Williamson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Nice work Giles - keep the updates coming :)

Return to “Road and Track Racing”