Imperial Winter Series 2012/13

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Sam Williamson

Imperial Winter Series 2012/13

Postby Sam Williamson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Loads of opportunities for a bit of fast and furious circuit action starting soon - I'm pondering a little 4th Cat action - anyone else fancy a race or 2?

Ian Baynes

Re: Imperial Winter Series 2012/13

Postby Ian Baynes » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Sam,
Get yourself down there & in your current form and you'll get to 3rd in no time :!:
Both Chris & I are planning our winter series debut at round 2 on 08/12/12 in the E123. Perhaps we could have a Hemel day out?

The Imperial Winter Series is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to cut their teeth at road racing in the 4th cats.
Lucy and all of the team do a great job in organising the series and helping rookie racers find their way. The events are very welcoming to newcomers.

Thinking ahead to next season, if we want to construct a strong team for the Spring Chicken I would lurge as many potential racers to give it a go during winter. We have enough untapped talent in the club and it would be a dream come true to try to repeat or even better the HHCC 2012 team performance.

Let's get Hemel back on the road race map where it belongs :D

Baynsey

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 am

A rousing call to arms Baynsey nice one...would be great to get some more HHCC riders at Hillingdon..see ya there

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Just spent half an hour typing up a complete report on yesterdays races and the bl00dy laptop crashed :evil:

So briefly:

Me - 4th cat - nothing - try again next week

Chad and Baynesy - E123 - huge respect to both for staying with a blistering pace - early bath for Dr B, Chad finishes with the bunch - much respect 8)

Sorry it's not longer but I've just wasted 30 minutes of my life :roll:

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Nice one guys, you're doing me proud!

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 pm

A few nice photos of the Hemel riders at The Imperial Winter Series round 2

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Nice find Ian!

As Asst. Racing Sec (a job I intend to take very seriously :wink: ) I'd like to give an 'official thumbs up' to those pictures.

This is exactly what we should be doing - getting the Hemel colours out there - whether it's Road Racing, TTing, CXing, MTBing, whatever.

As you say the Club has a long and proud history in bike racing - let's make sure the future is just as bright 8)

Onwards!

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 pm

We were at the series final today on a very cold, fairly wet but thankfully almost wind-less Hillingdon today.

Last week I'd launched a series of suicidal attacks off the front of the ever-growing 4th Cat bunch - my reward being a mention in the race report and an 8th place in the final bunch sprint - my best ever placing.

This week I had decided to 'sit in' for a bit and wind things up closer to the end but my ego got the better of me again and I ended up leading the 60+ strong peleton early in the race. A lot of riders new to the series had turned up for the final despite the weather and I wasn't prepared to give anyone an easy race :twisted:

Between myself and a few others we kept the pace pretty quick although the group remained strung out behind us and the occasional brave solo attack off the front came to nothing.

True to form the pace kicked up a notch with five laps to go then went ballastic in the last lap but I was still 'there or therabouts' when Greg Lewis and his mate from VC10 came past looking for some finish line action. Luckily Greg left me just enough room to nip past him on the inside of the hairpin (which is definitely my favourite part of the circuit) and blast it up the hill 3rd or 4th wheel. Around the long lefthander I managed to just about hold the wheel of last week's 2nd place rider and still had something left for the final rush to the line.

Unfortunately I simply don't seem to have the ability to produce 1000w+ for 5 seconds so a few decent sprinters came past before the chequered flag but I managed to grab 7th for 3 more points - giving me a total of six - 4 more required for a move up to the 3rds.

The most important thing for me is just how much I'm enjoying the racing - still getting my head 'round the mental side of things but relishing the steep learning curve.

I've just entered all 3 Beyond Spring Crits in March and April (as well as the Spring Chicken, of course) so that lot should give me an incentive to keep pushing hard on the turbo for a few more weeks of crap weather...

Now, how about a few of the Hemel 'weekend warriors' to come and join me at Hillingdon Circuit? Go on, you know you want to :lol:

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Good work Sam, you're becoming quite the all-rounder; TT, CX and now R/Racing :)
Chris & I were there the week before to see you get another points haul, so two weeks in the top-ten on the trot isn't too shabby at all :!:

Well done mate and keep the flag flying.

Baynsey

Rob Abbey

Postby Rob Abbey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Well done Sam! sounds like a lot of (intense) fun...
So I decided to take your advice and before I do any races @ Hillingdon, I will be going to a coaching session next week -23rd Feb- hopefully it will put me in good stead before I start any competitive action.
As for the Spring Chicken, as it is going to be the first time I race the event; I intend to do a recce of the route over the next couple of weeks, does anyone have a map of the circuit in any type of file? A gpx for the Garmin would be ideal though. Also if anyone wants to join me on said recce, do let me know!

R

Ian Baynes

Postby Ian Baynes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Rob,
Despite road racing for a different team this season, I'm still happy to help out with Hemel Hempstead riders. I've created a .FIT file of the Spring Chicken new route here: .
There are plans for a recce ride this Sunday and maybe the one after.

It'll be good to see you in the race, and supporting Sam :D

Baynsey

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey Rob,

Really pleased you've decided to 'dip your toe' so to speak - I'm sure you'll love it and makes complete sense to do an introductory session first.

Maybe have a look at the 3 race 'Beyond Spring Crits' series in March and April at Hillingdon - details on the BC website - that way you can judge your progress race by race.

As Ian says, we're planning on riding a couple of laps of the 'Chicken course this Sunday - late morning if you fancy it?

Cheers

Sam

Rob Abbey

Postby Rob Abbey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks Ian, I will upload it to the device! I am looking forward to it already...

Sam, I've just booked for the Beyond Spring Crits 1 for the 23rd March (I went for the 4th Cat only to begin with)
So this Sunday sounds good - when & where did you want to meet?

R

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 am

How about Botolph Claydon Village Hall at 12 midday? Postcode is MK18 2LP - drop me a PM with your mobile no. and we'll call you if running late.

Return to “Road and Track Racing”