Tire selection - Help required

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

NZxcross

Tire selection - Help required

Postby NZxcross » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi all,
It has been a very long time between drinks as they say, but it appears I'm in the market for some road race tires.
They need to fit the below criteria:
Clinchers
700c x ??
Any brand considered.
Around the 25-30 mark each.

Won't be doing heaps of racing but would like them to last a bit & be able to take a hit.
Any body out there using latex/lightweight tubes??

Cheers for any help
Richard
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Paul Thomson

Re: Tire selection - Help required

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Conti GP400S (or Force/Attack), Vittoria Corsa CX (good also for TT's), Vredestien Fortezza Pro Tricomp Slick, Schwalbe UltimoZX, Michelin Pro3 or Pro 4... and probably a few others I have missed out on. Use 700x23 front and rear.
Lighweight tubes (latex) are nice, but not always as practical. I have used them a fair bit but good quality butyl ones are pretty good too.
Note that if you have deeper section wheels (as many do nowadays) then you need to consider either a tube with longer valve stems (I use Conti's with 80mm stems on a 50mm deep rim) or use a valve with a removable stem to add extenders - or the last option is to add an extender on top of the valve to enable pumping up (but you have to leave the valve undone).

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Sam Williamson

Postby Sam Williamson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Paul lists some good clinchers - some I've tried, some I've not. Personally I'd go with a Continental GP4000S as a good all-rounder - 700c x 23mm.

I've used them in long and short TT's, road racing, training through winter etc. etc. Grip seems pretty good wet and dry and they are robust enough to take most of the crap the roads around here can dish out.

Ribble have them on offer at around 25 quid at the moment - don't think you'll get them much cheaper.

I tend to fit latex tubes on my TT race wheels and butyl for general use.

NZxcross

Postby NZxcross » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Wicked guys, really appreciate your efforts.
Geez Paul, you caught me out there for a while with Conti, hadn't heard that ever but the penny finally dropped.
I've had a good look at all of these today (Sorry Atlas, wasn't very foccused..) & norrowed it down to the Michellin Pro 3 & the new Schwallbe. Although the Michellin was in the better price range I've gone for the Swallbe for three reasons really.
1- Stace has used a set of a cheaper model on her bike with really good results
2- Due to the fact that I'll be pimping out me 'cross bike to go road racing (Stop laughing you all) the red side wall was a winner.
3- Ribble had them on sale for £25 each.

I might have it all back together by the weekend depending on deliveries, so if so might go for a spin with the bunch on Sunday.

Cool
Rico
Ta
Richard O'Reillly

Long way from home kiwi........

Return to “Road and Track Racing”