Oakley Village Road Race, 06 July 2013

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Giles Haley

Oakley Village Road Race, 06 July 2013

Postby Giles Haley » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Something odd happened to me today, on which basis I may have to award myself a beer. Apart from noticing that my wife has had her hair coloured :lol: , I found myself on a podium receiving a bronze medal and five quid.

Now, before you get too excited, I should explain further. The railway organisations in the UK (which includes me) have a cycling squad which holds an annual National Championship. As the participants are not hugely numerous, this normally gatecrashes a scheduled BC event. Not for the first time, this was the Oakley Village Road Race this year, a 54 mile 2/3/4 cat race. My bunch gallop finish didn't place me significantly in the main event, but it did bag me third in the Railway Championship.

It's a flat course which makes for a fairly furious speed, finishing in a few seconds over 2 hours in 28 degree sun. I figured my best option was to try getting in a break given that my sprinting isn't race-winning material. And my climbing's not great. Come to think of, shucks, what am I any good at ? :shock: The strategy was, therefore, to stay near the front and try to mark some moves with the aim of team time-trialling it to the finish. I got away briefly with two others just over half distance, including a Python guy who's teammate set it up nicely and who's wheel I happened to be sat on, so I launched quickly over to them. I could tell they were hatching something, and I was ready. Wasn't going to work, though, there was too much interest from the bunch and not enough of us away - I'd never have survived long with just two others, my legs were screaming.

On that basis, a change of strategy was required. Having located the lead railway rider in the bunch on the last lap, I religiously stuck to his wheel and kept my eyes open. (It turned out he was also looking for mine :wink: ). But by this point I was starting to hurt and as everything started getting revved up for the finish 2-3 miles out, I got widespread cramp in both legs. I just about managed to graunch over the line in the bunch, but lost the wheel I was marking and someone else got through.

Happy with my ride on the basis I couldn't have done any more and I'm a complete wreck. Nevertheless, it's frustrating when your brain has got it all sorted, but the legs just can't deliver. Next time...

Paul Thomson

Re: Oakley Village Road Race, 06 July 2013

Postby Paul Thomson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Good riding Giles!

That Oakley course isn't as easy as it looks, so to stay away does require some big horses to keep away from a hungry bunch.

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

John Lacey

Re: Oakley Village Road Race, 06 July 2013

Postby John Lacey » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:40 am

Good effort Giles, the MK Bowl will seem easy after that. Maybe see you tomorrow evening?

Return to “Road and Track Racing”