Tour of Hertfordshire 2015

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Tour of Hertfordshire 2015

Postby carolmac » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Dear Clubs,
My team and I are deep into our preparation for the first ever Tour of Hertfordshire Series which will run this June and July across Hertfordshire. It has grown out of the massively successful Fete Du Velo in Redbourn last year which many of you were involved with. The Fete du Velo returns again this year as round 3 of a 4 round series.

All four are due to be 8 hour closed road cycling festivals around circuits which vary in length from 740m up to 890m.

Just as at Redbourn they will include a very wide range of events across the 8 hours including ‘free ride’ events, scootathlons, duathlons, folding bike races, youth races, senior races, disability cycling challenges and road elimination races amongst other things. All of the circuits are designed to encircle a large arena area with lots of stalls, food, drink, entertainment and other opportunities to get on bikes and have fun.

Unfortunately I am currently not allowed to announce exactly when and where the rounds will be (even though a number of you are already deep into planning the rounds that you are involved with.) The police and safety advisory group will not allow them to be publicised until the circuits have been ‘signed off’. Although this is frustrating it is a necessary measure that we simply have to ‘roll with’.

I did want to make sure you have pencilled a rough idea of it into your club calendars. Please do also forward this on to any other riders and clubs that you think may be interested.

This is what I am allowed to tell you. The information below is of course subject to (unlikely) potential changes and could be (unlikely) turned down at any point:

• The events will be 8 hour Closed road cycling festivals running between 12: and 20:00 on Sunday afternoons.
• They will include wide reaching cycling challenges, Triathlon England sanctioned Duathlons and British Cycling sanctioned circuit races.
• All will have a diverse festival running throughout the event with lots of local and commercial partners involved.
• The proposed dates are : 7th and 14th of June and 5th and 26th of July.
• The proposed circuits are to be located within the vicinity of Croxley Green, Letchworth Garden City, Redbourn and Welwyn Garden City. Possibly in that order but possibly not.

I’m being deliberately vague with you of course. We have for a long time been deep into the finer planning of the intricacies of every circuit but I am already pushing my luck with what I am allowed to tell you.

So. Please do keep the series in mind when planning your clubs calendars and please do spread the word for people to firmly pencil it in.

It is no exaggeration to say that this is the most important thing to happen for organised cycle sport in Hertfordshire in over 20 years but as always it will only ever be as good as the people taking part in and enjoying it.

Please do pencil the above dates and times in and do rest assured that unless you don’t want me to (please say) I will keep you filled in fully as soon as we are allowed to advertise the series and the individual rounds.

Yours in sport,

Jez Cox
Hertfordshire Year of Cycling Manager

07580 743131
Hertfordshire County Council I County Hall I Pegs Lane, Hertford I SG13 8DN
Follow us on online:

Hertfordshire - County of Opportunity

Return to “Road and Track Racing”