Hillingdon Race - 04/08/09

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Rob Hill

Hillingdon Race - 04/08/09

Postby Rob Hill » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure there is much point doing a write up about this disaster of a race but I will anyway.

I went down to the crit race at Hillingdon this evening. I started off with the E123 race by accident and was breaking away with some of the stronger riders, sticking right at the front of the race and enjoying myself quite a lot. Then, about 15/20 mins into another rider told me that I was in the wrong race so had to sit back and wait for the cat 4 riders to come back around. I then kept on the front of the cat 4 bunch for most of the race, going at a stupidly slow pace, then when the pace picked up on the final 3 laps I stupidly decided to break away with 1.5 laps to go and got caught on the last straight - instead of waiting for the bunch sprint which I could have done well in. I had the confidence to win it, I just didn't think tactically. I think I am quite tactically aware in races in general but I just choose to ignore the sensible ideas and choose the crazy ones.

So, to conclude, I am still stuck in category 4 and have somehow not learned my lesson from last time I did this. Lots of cycling races still to try and win this year though.

Rob

John Lacey

Re: Hillingdon Race - 04/08/09

Postby John Lacey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

Ha Ha very funny Rob, towing the E123's around and then trying to launch one from a lap and a half out is a tall order. It sounds like you know what to do, so get down there next week, sit in with the 4th Cats and THEN launch one on the last lap, you should be fine. Oh, and remember to take your lights and saddleback off! :D
John L.

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Rob
Sounds like you are fit enough. Have you got some points already? In which case you don't even need to win to get upgraded. No pressure then.
You have just demonstrated that the strongest rider does not always win. Lesson learnt. Win next time.

Simon
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Rob Hill

Postby Rob Hill » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks Simon and John, and yes I only need 4 more points so I don't need the win (it would be nice though!)

And very funny John, I don't race with the lights and saddleback any more. I just did that last time to add some weight and give everyone else a chance :D

Rob

Return to “Road and Track Racing”