Imperial RT Winter Series, Hillingdon

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Goatspeed

Imperial RT Winter Series, Hillingdon

Postby Goatspeed » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I am I the only HHCC member going to race at Hillingdon this Saturday?

I will be chasing top 10 finishes again to try and get enough points to move up from 4th to 3rd Cat over the opening three rounds on Saturdays 5/12/19th. It would be great to try and get a break away group together. Anyone interested?

BTW, you can now enter on line: http://www.imperialracingteam.com/imper ... /index.htm
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Re: Imperial RT Winter Series, Hillingdon

Postby Paul Thomson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Should be a piece of cake Simon... you have 5 points already, don't you?

I think Rob Hill has 6 points too... so maybe get him to come and help each other...

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Well it turned into a shambles as the organisers ran the 4th and 3rds together and it just didn't work. The 3rds caught the 4ths and although the group at the front tried hard to hold back and let them go we failed. On the last lap we caught them up and nearly everyone sat up in sight of the line as an all out sprint would have possibly led to a pile up into the back end of the 3rds. The end summed up the whole race really. Kaos!

I realise the situation is difficult for the organisers as they are trying to squeeze a lot of racing into two and half hours but something needs to be done. Perhaps the answer would be to run the 3rds and 4ths from the start together rather like the LVRC races.

I will race again next week but hope there isn't a repeat of the farce.
Simon North

The Dunnes

Postby The Dunnes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm

There was one other Hemel rider! Conor was racing this as part of his winter training and first time out in Glendene colours. Got himself in a 4 man break which was away from the 2nd lap. This was good training with a high even tempo ride. Gavin has set Conor's winter training schedual and his coaching is working well for him. He is getting very strong and just got 2nd place in the sprint after trying to escape with 2 laps to go. Not sure if he is racing next Saturday, depends on the weather and what Gavin says.

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Good ride Conor. Anybody know Chris Grange in 9th in the 4th Cats?
Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Chris and I flew the Hemel colours in the second round 4th cat race today, among another huge field. Much better race with no mix up with the 3rds which ruined last week's sprint. In fact the 4ths seemed to be equally fast as the 3rds and the gap between the two categories never changed very much.

Chris did a lot of work on the front and was in the top 10 throughout the race, but faded a little on the last lap final run down the back straight despite the rarity of a tail wind pushing us all along.

I had a puncture on the opening lap and had to borrow a wheel from the race organisers. It then took me almost the entire rest of the race to find away up to Chris and guys at the front. Crossing the line on the bell lap, I must have had 25 riders in front of me as I thought 'oh gawd' I'm never going to make it to the front for the sprint again. Yet, as the front of the pack wound it up down the back straight for the last time the gaps appeared and I was able to find away through and went into the final turn beside the sign-on huts with about 10 in front. I passed a few up the hill and then gave it everything at the '200m to go line' and came through into fourth and chased the third placed rider all to the way to the line but lost by half a wheel. I'm really chuffed with fourth place though, my best ever result at Hillingdon.
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Excellent result Simon! Is that 6 points? If so you are now a 3rd cat ! :D

I'm going to be at Hillingdon tomorrow - doing the results for the cyclo-cross - the final round of the Central League. Are you coming?

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks Paul, not sure if I can move up yet as that 5th place I had before was in December 2008?

Hope to see you tomorrow as I am bringing Amy down to pick up her trophy.
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Points for upgrading from 4th to 3rd Cat are not time barred - you can take as long as you like to get the required 10 points to move up.

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:29 pm

So, with 6 points for 4th last Saturday and 5 points for 5th last December, I really am eligible for a 3rd cat licence then?

Blimey! I'll email Lucy today.

I'll probably do a couple more 4th Cat races to prove to myself it wasn't a flook and I'd really like to help Chris get into the top 10 as well as he is easily worthy of a 3rd Cat licence.

Thanks
Simon North

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Alright Simon,great result on saturday nice one...I hope to get up in the top ten this week any help greatfully accepted...
lol,I think I need calm down a bit towards the end of the race and not fly off like a loon..... still early days...be nice to get a few more hemel riders up there too
Chris G

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks Chris, lets talk tactics during the warm up. I'll be there about 12.15 on Saturday and will warm up from 12.40. Let's try to stay up near the front throughout the race so we are well placed for a final lap assault!
Simon North

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Ok Simon see you there,snow and ice permitting.....

Return to “Road and Track Racing”