Imperial RT Winter Series, Hillingdon

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Chad G

Re: Imperial RT Winter Series, Hillingdon

Postby Chad G » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi all,according to the Imperial web site racing is on tomorrow....yikes...see you there Simon ?

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Re racing saturday;Just been looking at the forecast...yuk... so depending on road conditions (I cycle to the track) I should be there...

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Chris and I flew the HHCC flag once more, both featuring at the sharp end of the 4th Cat race.

Starting was touch and go in the freezing conditions but some hard work chipping the worst of the ice away and putting salt down by Doug and Richard from Imperial RT made sure we got our race. There were about 30-35 Third Cats and about 45-50 of us Fourths.

The pace was high in the opening 20 mins but thankfully the riding was good with everyone staying on line and nice and stable. Chris was always near the front and took a turn or two at the head of the bunch, whilst I hovered around the top 15 or so.

With 2 laps to go we caught a group of slower 3rds and I thought there was going to be another confusing finish which ruined the opening round but the organisers were vocal in telling them to move over as we crossed the line. Taking no chances I moved up to second wheel, whilst behind us there was a crash as some of our bunch passed that group of slow 3rds. I stayed in second all the way down the back straight thinkking the bunch would appear at my shoulder but we got all the way to last turn at the bottom on the final hill, where I pulled into the lead and went for it.

I was still leading at the 200 to go marker but then a few slipped past. I dug as deep as I could and started to peg them back but sadly run out of road before the line, finishng seventh. Chris was not far behind but got boxed in when he started his sprint up the hill, hoping he may have been in the top 10.

So, I have enough points for 3rd Cat now, but plan to stay in the fourths on New Years Day and then move up.
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:32 pm

All good stuff Simon... Of course if you have already moved up to 3rd Cat from the last race, then you will not be awarded any BC points for this race.

Sounds like you have worked out the moving around the bunch and getting to the front OK, now you need to work on your final sprint a bit!

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:40 pm

New Years Day and here I am lining up with the Thirds for the first time. Immediately I found myself lost in the middle of the pack as a small group put the hammer down and pulled out an alarming lead. I thought it was all over before the first lap was over!

I was relieved when we all came back together going up the hill. After that initial scare the race settled down and I found the pace OK. I found it really hard to stay close enough to the front in the final couple of laps as everyone was fighting for position. That final lap was pretty fast and in the last 500m I found myself passing a few who fell by the wayside. A couple of riders sat up in front of me in the final 200m and I sat down to weave my way through then found I was sprinting at the same speed as those in front, so was unable to close the gap. I was hoping for top 20 and came agonisingly close in 21st. Next goal is to finish top 15 and score some points.

Chris, I missed your company! Hurry up and get some points so you can come and join me.
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Sounds like all good experience... still very early days yet - there is no point in being the best winter racer when not much counts! :wink:

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:11 pm

After last week's postponed race, round seven of 11 took place in fully wet conditions. It started in the drizzle and then after about 15 mins the rain started lashing down hard and very cold as some large puddles appeared at three of four places. Visibility was reduced from the spray and misted lenses.

Excellent news is that Chris grabbed a season's best fourth place finish in the Fourths to add six points to the one he scored early on, so with a total of seven he's odds-on to get the three he needs to graduate to Third Cat.

I think I made the top 20 in my second race in Thirds. I didn't get a good run on the last lap as another rider cut me up. I need to work harder to get into a better position in the last 1,000m.

Nice to see Conor's dad at the end hope he did well in the E123 race?
Simon North

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm

At last Crhis and I can race together in the Thirds this Saturday, 30th Jan.

Last week the final lap was like rush hour on the M25!
Simon North

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Well done guys! Keep up the good work! I will see you there soon! Maybe on the 13th?

Return to “Road and Track Racing”