Spring Chicken

Everything to do with bunched racing on the road and velodrome.

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Gavin Atkins

Chad G

Spring Chicken

Postby Chad G » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi all,just wondering if anyone is up for doing the spring chicken this year Ive not done a road race before so am keen to have a go.It would be nice to get a few of us together and get out and do some training for it as a team

Gavin Atkins

Re: spring chicken

Postby Gavin Atkins » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Chad, yup I will most likely be riding the 3rd cat race, and will make a few appearances at the Chiltern Classics and Hillingdon beforehand to get my eye in first.

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Ok Gavin hopefully see you at hillingdon sometime,Ive done a few of the imperial series races this year hopefully see you there,Ill be there for most of the upcoming races....

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Am also racing in 3rd cat but like Chris have only ever done one road race before. Any chance of meeting up for a recce ride on the course before hand?
Simon North

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Maybe guys - I've done it loads of times so could probably offer some good advice - its very different from riding at Hillingdon! Every year some riders with Hillingdon form enter and finish no where - its more of an endurance test and staying in the wheels in the bunch will rarely get a result. The wind can pay a major role and its early season so the range of abilities and fitness is wide.

I could possibly meet you there this weekend at some point? I have a small child so am not very flexible at the moment but let me knwo and maybe we could make it work. I'm away next weekend, but the weekend after that might work too.

Gav

Chad G

Postby Chad G » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Gav,I met Phil,(didnt get his 2nd name) a mate of yours at hillingdon this week,it was my 1st 3rd cat race so it was good to have him and simon in the bunch.We had a pretty good race,(though it was getting a bit lairy towards the end,Phil had to persuade someone Not to,as he said "try and get on his bike")In the last 500m where again someone was trying to get in a space where there was nt one and this time it resulted in a couple of guys going off the track one hit the barrier sounded nasty and expensive...I had to offroad to avoid a sliding riderless Cervelo and simon narrowly escaped collision too,shame coz we were in a good position for the final sprint up the hill....still we were grateful to be in one piece though..
Spoke to Simon about the spring chicken and we decided to do the last two races in the series at hillingdon and then try to get together one weekend for a course recce if thats ok with you.
atb Chris

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm

We both had a close shave there Chris, didn't we. Shame as it spoilt a fine debut in 3rds for you and probably robbed us both of a good finish. I wanted to try and go off the front before the final corner but the stragglers from the finish of the 4th made it impossible. May be next week...

Gav, would you be around for a ride on the course on the afternoon of Saturday, 28th Feb, say meet at 2.30pm?
Simon North

Gavin Atkins

Postby Gavin Atkins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Guys, sounds like fun! I almost came along but I still need a couple more weeks good work before I can risk my ego in racing! I can't make the 28th as am having a training camp with Phil in the Peak District. I'm hoping to make the Feb 13th race if at all possible - I'm guessing that would be the last one?

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:47 pm

13 Feb I think is the last of the Winter Series run by the Imperial RT, but I think there is an open meeting there after that (20 Feb), plus there is the event at MK Bowl on Sat 7 March (the week before the Spring Chicken)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... oad+Racing

Paul
Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... hame-Cup-0

BC have featured the Roy Thame Cup in their main story headlines...

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Unfortunately I was stuck doing signing on so no video from me for the Spring Chicken. However, British Cycling has posted a video for the Roy Thame Cup on YouTube.

Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Gavin Atkins

Re: Spring Chicken

Postby Gavin Atkins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Great days racing Paul! Here's my report:

Goatspeed

Postby Goatspeed » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Paging Paul or Simon...I gave my long sleeve TORQ top to a marshal in one of the cars at HQ as we rolled around to the start and just wondered if it was handed in at the end?
Simon North

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Simon, I have your top at home. I'll bring it down the clubroom next Monday , or I can meet you there some other (early) evening this week if needed sooner?

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

Return to “Road and Track Racing”