Club Champs and Awards 2013

Everything swim, cycle and run

Moderators: Simon Hemington, Paul Thomson, Ian Huntingford

Mike Orton

Club Champs and Awards 2013

Postby Mike Orton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Dear all,

As I think everyone knows our competed for awards this year have had some difficulties.

The most improved event was intended to be the Bedford Sprint on 16 June 2013. In the event it appeared that this clashed with the Club 25 mile championship, though I'm not sure that many were affected by this. However the only person who was able to make the start line (for a combination of reasons) was Ian Huntingford. Although he did well he did not improve on his previous performances and, having consulted with him, he has agreed with me that I may use my judgement to make the award this year to the person whose performances overall most warrant it.

MOST IMPROVED TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR

There are many people who have done very well this season and improved their performances through sheer hard work and dedication. In my view the two most deserving people are Carol MacDonald and Scott Dixon, but there can only be one winner for this one as there is not one for the ladies and one for the men. On balance I have decided that this award should go to SCOTT DIXON for his oustanding performances throughout the season at both Olympic Distance and Sprint where he also competed for the GB team at the European Championships in Turkey

BEST NOVICE TRIATHLETE

I found this task a little easier in that the person concerned has probably competed in more events than most of us put together, and along with her family has probably done more to raise the profile of the club than anyone else. From that intro you will not be surpirsed to hear that this award goes to VERNA BURGESS

CLUB CHAMPIONS OF THE YEAR

I won't bore everyone with the details of this again but in the event the Big Cow event on 22 September did not go ahead. With just one week's notice I was never really in favour of nominating another event though I know some had suggested that the Eton Sprint on the same day could be substituted. In the event only two ladies made the start line for this one, of whom one was unlucky in getting a puncture and therefore did not finish. Well done to Sandra and Carol for having a go but again as Club Tri Sec and having consulted with Ian and Simon I do believe that we should postpone this year's Champs and go with Graeme's suggestion of one of the early season Bedford Sprints in 2014 (though not the earliest due to the coldweather) for the delayed 2013 Champs. The September Big Cow could once again be the Champs for 2014 barring similar mishaps to last year!

I will include all this in my report to the AGM but wanted to let you know in advance. As you know I am standing down from the Club Tri Sec role at the AGM but I am very pleased to say that Ben Hurford has agreed to do his bit for the Club and take it on next year so best of luck to him.

All the best,

Mike

smogan

Re: Club Champs and Awards 2013

Postby smogan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 pm

MOST IMPROVED TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR

There are many people who have done very well this season and improved their performances through sheer hard work and dedication. In my view the two most deserving people are Carol MacDonald and Scott Dixon, but there can only be one winner for this one as there is not one for the ladies and one for the men. On balance I have decided that this award should go to SCOTT DIXON for his oustanding performances throughout the season at both Olympic Distance and Sprint where he also competed for the GB team at the European Championships in Turkey

Mike, Committee
If my understanding of the above report is correct can you please explain why HHCC only has an option for a male winner in the above category please?
Sandra

Mike Orton

Postby Mike Orton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:16 am

Sandra,

I have no idea why that is and it does seem a bit unfair as I guess you infer. Ian and Simon instituted the awards and I have merely applied them this year. Sounds like something you may like to take up with the Committee?

Best Regards,
Mike

vernaburgess

Postby vernaburgess » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:04 am

Nice surprise on logging on this morning Thanks :D

Simon Hemington
Site Admin

Postby Simon Hemington » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 am

Simon Hemington
HHCC Webmaster

Ian Huntingford

Postby Ian Huntingford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 am

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am

Paul Thomson
Racing Secretary

Mike Orton

Postby Mike Orton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the clarification and I hope that has helped you understand the process Sandra.

As Ian says the Best Novice and Most Improved are gender independent and perhaps should remain that way (I think Ben got Best Novice last year and Verna has it this year).

I wonder if we should take the opportunity to review the way these two awards work, particularly the Most Improved? It strikes me that given the ageing process the current formula of looking back several years at past performances at Bedford may not favour the older members, who will inevitbaly see a tail off in their times but may still be performing very well in their age category. Perhaps this award should become one of subjective judgement, like the Best Novice.

It strikes me that there are two ways to do this; either trust the Tri Secretary to make these judgements, having reviewed performances over the season and taken soundings as helpful/appropriate, OR to ask all Tri Section members to let him/her have their votes for each award by a certain date to determine the winner of each award. The latter would be more democratic and require a bit more coordination, but would perhaps feel more inclusive.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this. I am attending my last committee meeting later this month and will take the opportunity to feed in any views.

Regards,
Mike

vernaburgess

Postby vernaburgess » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 am

Most running clubs use at age graded system for member performance in road races and it is therefore possible to have an equitable system whatever age of runner eg the current leader in the road race championship at Tring using this method is a V60.

I do not know if this formula exists for triathletes. One option could be for the best 3 (?) results to be taken for the year and the performance worked out compared to the age group winner of the event. Then a simple average worked out to give a performance percentage.

Paul Thomson

Postby Paul Thomson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 am

The problem here is that running races tend to be over fairly accurately measured distances (like time trials are - CTT courses are measured to the nearest foot, but are always a touch longer for safety). Triathlons are not measured accurately - even the swim can be 100 meters+ out from that advertised... and the bike and run courses can be miles or hundreds of yards out. Therefore times done from one event to the other can't be taken as a proof of improvement unless it is on the same course.

In terms of positions - if that's what you mean from result? - then just looking at age groupings there is already a big variety between some age groups as to their competitivness - for example the older age groups (from 50+) often have just a handful (or less!) of competitors, but the middle ranges - typically 30-49 - have a lot - dozens or more, and of course womens groups also tend to be smaller too. Even then it often depends on who turns up. For example Scott won an age group this year in one event - in the very comeptitive 40-49 age group, yet a month or two later in another event he did a better personal performance but only ended up as around 15th in his age group as more better athletes turned up (it was a Europeans/Worlds qualifyer). So a better performance resulted in a worse result.

I don't think there is an easy answer to this.

The original idea of always picking the same event each year does have some merit. But it's time of year and type of event has not been that favourable in recent years so maybe that needs to be rethought.

Paul
Paul Thomson

Racing Secretary

smogan

Postby smogan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi
I absolutely agree that 'most improved' should be male or female and not a separate award. I think my confusion was with Mike's original report which I read as there only being an award for male athletes. I do agree also that it is very difficult to measure 'most improved' due to variations in triathlons as Paul says.
Perhaps an average over 3 races which are chosen at the start of the season by the committee, this would give those who wish to be considered a chance to plan their season. Also, some clubs decide as a committee who they consider has improved the most over a season.....just my thoughts.
Note to self......post more tri results on forum :D

Sandra

Mike Orton

Postby Mike Orton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks for that thought Sandra.

My recommendation to the committee on Monday will be that for the subjective awards of most improved and best novice that in fact it is a vote of the members of the triathlon section. I think any formula one might come up with cannot be perfect and there will always be someone who will suggest a 'better' one. At least with a vote everyone has a say (if they can be bothered to vote) and it seems to me this would be much fairer.

Cheers,
Mike

Return to “Triathlon and Duathlon”